Spotted - Buy More iPods, Please | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Spotted - Buy More iPods, Please

Noticed this sign at the Apple Store today: “Why stop at just one?”

image

It’s a maxim of marketing: “it’s easier to sell to your existing customer base than to acquire new customers.” Some have even quantified that statement, suggesting that it can cost five times more to get a new customer than to keep a current one. Hence, the sign above. Have an iPod? Buy another. Maybe a few more. They’re colorful and cheap(-ish) now. Right?

As much as I’d rather see Apple expand the iPod user base than try to sell more iPods to current owners, nothing’s stopping the company from going after both current and new iPod users at the same time - it has the resources. And if that means keeping devoted fans happy has become an Apple priority, even better. A sign like this is an inexpensive, simple way to put the “keep buying” message out publicly to current customers; it’ll be interesting to see if it works.

« Apple Universal Remote

Blu-Ray Blues and HD Movies, Generally (u) »

Comments

Well Apple is kind of right, it took my a while to get my first Ipod (got the photo when it came out) ever since I got 2 more one for my girlfriend (nano 2nd generation pink) and one for my sister (mini) so it took a few years for them to get me as a customer but now it seems I buy one evrey year or so…

Posted by OOkladek on March 24, 2007 at 6:22 PM (CDT)

Likewise, ever since I first bought my iPod, my Family have slowly been receiving iPods for Birthdays and Xmas. My bank balance hasn’t been too healthy, but my Family’s taste in music is now.

Posted by Dan Woods on March 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM (CDT)

My partner just got given a shuffle by a client, our second shuffle of the household.  Add those to my nano, my full size iPod, his mini, and my (should we even count it) Moto SLVR, and we have 6 devices between us that sync with iTunes.  So, yeah.  I’d say it’s easier to sell to existing customers.

Posted by alexarch on March 24, 2007 at 8:46 PM (CDT)

Well, I’m normally a pretty frugal person, but I have three iPods (I did have 4 until I gave my old shuffle to a friend). There’s the old non-video one with the dying battery that I leave in my car to use there. Then there’s the new one with video that I use as my main iPod for music and games. And there’s a nano that I got for exercising so I could use the Nike Plus Sport Kit with it.

Posted by LeslieT on March 24, 2007 at 10:17 PM (CDT)

Such a sign just shows what many iPod owners like myself been doing for years now, sharing the experience with family and friends. I am also the frugal type, but since my first 1Pod (3G), I bought 2 mini and a nano, and I now own a 5G.

They should change the sign to
“Share the Experience”

Posted by Dave95 on March 25, 2007 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

5 so far… a 1st gen mini, a 4th gen that’s since been sold, an enhanced 5th gen, a 2nd gen shuffle, and, last week, a nano for my husband. I’m considering a 2nd shuffle so I can have cardio music on one and a few chapters of my current audio books on the other.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on March 25, 2007 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

6 for me.

bought a 2G, lost it in a cab. bought a 3G, died on me, replaced by Best Buy with a 5G. gifts for the family of (2) mini’s and (1) 4G. and most recently i picked up a shuffle so i dont have to worry about screen on my 5G while snowboarding.

Posted by murph on March 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

There are 7 iPods in my family, 4 mine, 3 are my dad’s, and 1 is my brother’s. My mum is the only one that does not have one yet, despite my efforts to convince her.
It started when my dad got one of the original 10GB ones. I borrowed it off him loads, despite its (relatively) large size. a few months later, i got my own, a 2nd gen. 6GB mini, which i used almost every day ‘till i got a 5G 6 month later just before christmas. It was an amazing upgrade from the mini, and i loved it. while i was on holiday in new york the following August, i got a 1st gen. 1GB shuffle (a month before the new ones came out!) I only really used that one for data. then in october, exactly a month after it was announced i got a 8GB nano. It was the perfect iPod for my needs (my 5 Star playlist is 7GB). Then, a month ago, when i saw the green shuffle, i had to have one. Since i got it, I have hardly used my other 3.
I’m sure i’ll be buying many more in the future too, as well as the previous ones i missed. : )

Posted by K. Pilkington on March 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM (CDT)

i got a red nano 4g for a christmas present form my boyfriend. I cant tell you one day that i have left home without it. Its like a pair of all the time panties. i even play it when i sleep….It’s a addictive piece of technology!!! i love it….

Posted by chantal on April 6, 2007 at 10:56 PM (CDT)