Stylish and Simple, Just Mobile’s Cooling Bar Macks Up the MacBook
Just Mobile makes cool accessories from aluminum. It also makes cool accessories from plastic, but there’s something just a little scary about how adept its designers are when working with metal—it creates riffs on Apple designs that even Apple would like. So pardon us for our continued enthusiasm over this aluminum wand, which the company calls the Cooling Bar. We mentioned it as one of the only real standout products at Macworld Expo in January, found alongside a matching full-sized MacBook stand and an aluminum mousepad.
The idea here is obvious: MacBooks can run a little hot when they’re touching certain flat surfaces, and stand to benefit from a little elevation. Cooling Bar offers that elevation with style.
It’s a solid chunk of beautifully machined aluminum, featuring diamond-cut edges, triple black rubber rings to prevent metal-on-metal scratching, and flat gray rubber padding on the bottom to keep it from rolling around on a desk. In person, it was something that made us walk over to the Just Mobile stand on sight; the edges and color combination pair beautifully with the metal MacBooks.
On the left side, there’s a cable managing groove to hold your MagSafe connector in place when you’re not using your computer, which can be up to 15” in width (read: 15” MacBook Pro) before spilling over the Bar’s sides. And that’s pretty much it. Cooling Bar sells for $40, and as simple as it may be in concept, the look, feel, and finish all make it feel worthwhile if you’re concerned about fan noise or heat. Additional pictures can be seen by clicking on the title of this article.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Foxconn struggling to meet demand for iPhone 6
- Apple to require app-specific passwords for third-party apps in iCloud
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels