Stylish and Simple, Just Mobile’s Cooling Bar Macks Up the MacBook
Just Mobile makes cool accessories from aluminum. It also makes cool accessories from plastic, but there’s something just a little scary about how adept its designers are when working with metal—it creates riffs on Apple designs that even Apple would like. So pardon us for our continued enthusiasm over this aluminum wand, which the company calls the Cooling Bar. We mentioned it as one of the only real standout products at Macworld Expo in January, found alongside a matching full-sized MacBook stand and an aluminum mousepad.
The idea here is obvious: MacBooks can run a little hot when they’re touching certain flat surfaces, and stand to benefit from a little elevation. Cooling Bar offers that elevation with style.
It’s a solid chunk of beautifully machined aluminum, featuring diamond-cut edges, triple black rubber rings to prevent metal-on-metal scratching, and flat gray rubber padding on the bottom to keep it from rolling around on a desk. In person, it was something that made us walk over to the Just Mobile stand on sight; the edges and color combination pair beautifully with the metal MacBooks.
On the left side, there’s a cable managing groove to hold your MagSafe connector in place when you’re not using your computer, which can be up to 15” in width (read: 15” MacBook Pro) before spilling over the Bar’s sides. And that’s pretty much it. Cooling Bar sells for $40, and as simple as it may be in concept, the look, feel, and finish all make it feel worthwhile if you’re concerned about fan noise or heat. Additional pictures can be seen by clicking on the title of this article.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?