Stylish and Simple, Just Mobile’s Cooling Bar Macks Up the MacBook
Just Mobile makes cool accessories from aluminum. It also makes cool accessories from plastic, but there’s something just a little scary about how adept its designers are when working with metal—it creates riffs on Apple designs that even Apple would like. So pardon us for our continued enthusiasm over this aluminum wand, which the company calls the Cooling Bar. We mentioned it as one of the only real standout products at Macworld Expo in January, found alongside a matching full-sized MacBook stand and an aluminum mousepad.
The idea here is obvious: MacBooks can run a little hot when they’re touching certain flat surfaces, and stand to benefit from a little elevation. Cooling Bar offers that elevation with style.
It’s a solid chunk of beautifully machined aluminum, featuring diamond-cut edges, triple black rubber rings to prevent metal-on-metal scratching, and flat gray rubber padding on the bottom to keep it from rolling around on a desk. In person, it was something that made us walk over to the Just Mobile stand on sight; the edges and color combination pair beautifully with the metal MacBooks.
On the left side, there’s a cable managing groove to hold your MagSafe connector in place when you’re not using your computer, which can be up to 15” in width (read: 15” MacBook Pro) before spilling over the Bar’s sides. And that’s pretty much it. Cooling Bar sells for $40, and as simple as it may be in concept, the look, feel, and finish all make it feel worthwhile if you’re concerned about fan noise or heat. Additional pictures can be seen by clicking on the title of this article.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app