Tell Us Your Thoughts on iPhone Fart and Boob Apps
Published: Thursday, February 5, 2009
Readers, we’d like to hear your thoughts.
It’s universally accepted that the App Store is roughly 90% junk and 10% worthwhile content. You already know that we focus mostly on the good 10% rather than the bad 90%. And until recently, it was rare that popular apps in the Store were also trashy. Yet over the last month, Apple’s decision to let a collection of “limited utility” applications into the App Store opened the floodgates: the resulting publicity first helped fart noise apps shoot up the charts, and now, with similar assistance, the latest chart toppers are girl ogling apps: a 3-D model of a girl called “iGirl - Never Says No,” the wallpaper app “Bikini Blast” that features photos of “cougars and milfs,” and “Wobble Her Bikini,” which iets you add 3-D animated jiggling parts to 2-D photos. The latter one is, as of this moment, the #1 app in Apple’s Japanese App Store. Seriously.
Since our inception, iLounge has been a family-friendly site. We see and salute developers who are working hard to make games, programs, and content that really elevate the iPhone OS as a platform, but there’s no doubt that fart and boob apps are of interest to some people, too. So we want to know what you think. Should we give a little attention to these apps anyway, either in news or reviews, despite the fact that neither Steve Jobs nor Phil Schiller would ever get up on stage to salute them as their top-selling applications? Or should we ignore them despite their popularity? Your thoughts are appreciated.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple appoints Beats Music chief to head up iTunes Radio
- Facebook promises monthly iOS app updates
- iLounge Game Spotlight: 80 Days
- Typo iPhone keyboard returns, updated, as Typo 2
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Report: Vivendi SA sold its Beats stake for $404 million
- Apple content delivery network for faster downloads now live in US, Europe
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Tylt Energi 2K Smart Travel Charger
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks