Ten New Details on the Apple Tablet | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Ten New Details on the Apple Tablet

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Monday, September 28, 2009
Backstage Categories:

Want to know some more about Apple’s upcoming tablet device? You’re in luck. We’ve received the scoop from our reliable source—who correctly called the iPod nano 5G, iPhone 3GS and Chinese iPhone 3G months ago.

1. Apple has created at least three separate prototypes of its tablet computer. Let’s call it “iPad.”
  2. Version 1 was designed with a 7” screen, which was judged to be too small. The latest version has a 10.7” screen.
  3. image
  4. It runs iPhone OS.
  5. There have been reports that it looks like an iPhone. They’re sort of true. It looks like an iPhone 3G, complete with a curved back.
  6. It will come in two different variations: one with 3G networking capabilities, and one without 3G networking capabilities. Think of the 3G version as a bigscreen iPhone 3GS, and the non-3G version as a bigscreen iPod touch.
  7. Screen resolutions will obviously jump considerably from the iPhone and iPod touch 480x320-pixel displays, enabling easy reading of full-sized book and magazine pages, plus cropped newspaper pages. Expect something like 5-6 times the resolution of an iPod touch or iPhone screen (720p or thereabouts) and 7 times the touchable surface area.
  8. It is designed to expand the iPhone and iPod touch media concept to its next potential level: as a slate-like replacement for books and magazines, plus all of the media, gaming, app, and web functionality of the iPhone and iPod touch.
  9. It is not meant to compete with netbooks. It’s an iPhone OS media player and light communication device.
  10. Apple is currently planning to announce it on or before January 19, 2010, and to use an iPhone-like hype buildup period to start selling it in May or June.
  11. It is apparently awaiting a final green light from Steve Jobs; chances of it appearing in the market are believed to be 80% at this point.

Feel free to discuss it all below. Just don’t make the mistake that some of these people made back in May (“what’s the point of putting a camera on the Nano?”). Keep an open mind.

« Great News: The FTC Finally Requires Payment-For-Review Disclosures

The Growing iPod + iPhone Family, in Pictures (2009) »

Comments

I need this ipad in my kitchen!
On the morning, for breakfast while having my tea, I’ll listen music, watch tv or a video, buy something, search on the web or just read the latest news on my favorite webzine! Great!!
I already prepare the wall where ipad will be in the kitchen…

Posted by Pascal on September 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

Schools are gearing up for a device that every kid in the classroom can have - that can be loaded textbooks and reference materials, and which can be used to complete assignments (as well as being of course easily networked to the teacher’s computer/ interactive whiteboard etc.)

It is an enormous market - (esp. with infrastructure computers)  which at the moment looks like it will be going to netbook computers.  The current apple lineup doesn’t have a product in the game - and so I predict that, whatever this tablet is, it will be pricepointed at, and fill the criteria for a classroom based device (so definitely a more powerful OS than the iphone one).

Posted by Viva on September 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

I have few doubts that Apple is thinking more than just the device, but the way the device works with online media. In other words, much of the demand for an iPad will be linked to how one can access media through iTunes by using it.

So as to whether or not Apple will find enough market for an iPad, I’ll leave that to Apple to figure out.

As to my own needs, it is entirely possible I may see this thing and how it works (remember, the iPhone was “just another smartphone”—a hobbled one, at that, since it lacked a physical keyboard—until the App Store began filling with more functionality than any of us could have imagined) and decide that I MUST have one—but as for now, I’m pretty agnostic about it.

What I would almost CERTAINLY buy, though, if Apple made it available, would be an iPhone with a larger screen. If you’ve seen the online pics of the new HTC Leo, with a 4.3” screen and 800X480 resolution (that’s nearly 2.5x the resolution of the iPhone!), you’ll see how much larger that screen really is, all in a form factor that’s quite close to the iPhone (just 5% taller [.22”], 8% wider [.20”], and 10% thinner [.05”]). Such a screen would make a noticeable difference and improvement in web surfing and video, to say the least. Even a screen with 480x720 resolution (to keep the same ratio as the current screen) would still provide twice the resolution, which would make reading, watching, and surfing all the more enjoyable.

Posted by Alan on September 30, 2009 at 2:22 PM (PDT)

How much will the tomtom windshield mount cost for this iPallette?

Posted by L3 on September 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

I have no views as to whether the Tablet will fail, deserves to fail, do what the ipHone does and more, or less, or not.
What I am clear about is that there is still a huge potential market for a small compact Mac, with
a screen no bigger than 7”
slimmed down but essential capabilities such as BT, Wifi, ethernet, USB, Firewire
the suite of important Mac OS applications (Mail, Safari, iCal, Address Book, iTunes, iPhoto, iDvd etc)
the ability to create and edit MS Office documents stream music and videos, and accept 3rd party applications

Apple should look carefully at the now outdated Psion 5mx models used by those who really understand what these small old computers could and still can do, and would make an absolute fortune if they came up with the right package. Why not version 1 of the Tablet with its 7” screen but with a decent Mac OS? It would not compete with most Netbooks, but it would blow most of them away.

Posted by Nicholas on October 1, 2009 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

Gotta have Flash, otherwise I just stick to my Pod

Posted by Radysek on October 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Graduate students might find this product more appealing (depending on the discipline) than undergraduate students. They typically do a great deal amount of travel and taking out a laptop to read journal articles (usually in pdf) and take notes is not always practical (think about being on public transportation while trying to type). A tablet (with a stylus) lets one do this best assuming the user can alternate between the pdf and whatever program you are using to take notes. The other caveat is that syncing this program with your computer, so that notes can transfer over.
Of course, apple shouldn’t stop their. Put all the media capabilities on their too. Itunes, DVD player, etc. And be sure to include bluetooth capability so there’s no need to put down the tablet to answer the phone. Instead you should be able to answer and make phone calls and send texts through the tablet itself.

Posted by AntonioGS on October 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

how come a lot of your guys are saying that they don’t want the “iPad” to be like a large iPhone? i would want it to be even more like the iPhone. the 3G version should be able to replace the iPhone completely! add some sort of new apple bluetooth headset to this “iPad 3G”, find out an easy way to place calls just with the headset (voice activated of what not), and forget about the iPhone! i would buy it in a heart beat.

Posted by moarkster on October 2, 2009 at 2:49 AM (PDT)

@lukeskynet

“MARK MY WORDS: This baby either is going to have Snow Leopard with Cocoa Touch or FAIL.”

Expand your horizons, dude. Computing is moving from client side to server side whether you like it or not. The desktop, as we know it, is becoming a thing of the past.

Many people are seeing this device as nothing more than an oversized Touch and I think they’re missing the point. We’re only scratching at the surface of what iPhone OS *can* do. Give it a 10” screen and get ready to
be blown away. Mark *my* words on that one.

I’m liking *everything* I’m hearing about this device and count me among those who will be standing in line with my Mac brethren on launch day.

Someone earlier made the comment that if you want OS X on your iPhone or iPad, “There’s an app. for that!” Well, actually there is. I’m using Jaadu, which is a VNC client, on my iPhone. It gives me full access to my desktop. I’m not talking access as in just viewing stuff. I’m talking access as in opening a Word or Excel document and working on it or opening a picture in iPhoto and applying a filter. So, if you want OS X, on your iPhone or iPad, go get
some!

The *single* thing I am hoping the iPad will allow for is the ability to have a true wallpaper. Not much to ask for eh? grin

Posted by skinnylegs on October 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

Time to throw in my 2¢ worth.

I’m hearing a lot about it’s gotta/need/should/shouldn’t have the Desktop OS or iPhone OS. I really think your all wrong on this one. I suspect your going to see something else. I predict it will be an amalgam of BOTH systems. More powerful than the iProducts, but not as powerful as desktops/laptops.

There are things that the iTouch and iphone are just too small to do effectively, while there are things that a laptop is just too big (even a netbook) or too cumbersome. I can image a device that fits BETWEEN these two platforms. Put the iWork and iLife apps along with the itunes store and the potential is amazing. I can hundreds of uses for such a device in hundreds of professions.

Imagine an architect surveying a construction site and being able to carry the plans in their hand - something an iPhone is too small to do yet a laptop is too awkward.

I can imagine my son not having to carry a backpack full of books, scribblers and looseleaf binders in spine crushing proportions.

I can see a nurse syncing patient records at the desktop in the nurse’s station, visiting the patient and recording stats, then uploading the updates.

I can see anyone who has to carry a clipboard full of forms using an interactive format on this device especially if it is networkable.

I can see reading the paper/a book/the net while on the subway without getting seasick ‘cause the iphone is too small and a laptop is too cumbersome.

In short, cannot be compared to what we use now. This is something new. A laptop is nicknamed cause you work with it on your LAP, not standing. An iPhone is a smart PHONE.

This device will be a MOBILE computer. Something you can work with STANDING or on the go. If you continue to think about how this will replace your laptop you just don’t understand what this thing is.

I can’t wait for this, and I don’t see it replacing my laptop, desktop or iPhone anytime soon especially if the rumours that it can be used as a second monitor on a laptop is true and if I can piggyback on my iPhone for network other than wifi.

Posted by jimages on October 3, 2009 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

What is the point ? Come on Apple - get into the netbook market - you will destroy the competition. A tablet that can take iPhone Apps and also be a platform for the MacOS is what we want. Is this another example of the consumer being drip fed technology thus maximising the suppliers profits. The iPod saga all over again - release after release with minor technilogical advances that could have been released years ago - shame on you Steve Jobs !!

Posted by Derek on October 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

Great idea. I travel a lot, and would MUCH rather not take my MacBookPro, if I can get away without it.

I need internet access and email only when on the road; I already use the cloud on the desktop and the MBP, so to have a lighter more-iPhone-like device would work for me. The cloud guarantees that iCal and Contacts are with me and up to date, too.

And to have books and movies with it: two thumbs up from me.

Posted by KIt_L on October 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

A kindle DX is expensive, does not have a great way to show PDF files has no colour and nothing additional.

Now think a iPad at the same price.
PDF reader, High quality magazines in colur downloadable from itunes shop, comics as well.
But a internet surfing station, a movie device+ipod+iphone function as well.

If battery works long enough this could “destroy” the whole eReader sector in one strike!

It is not sopposed to be a laptop, it is a gadget.
Like a BMW Z4 is not to replace a pick-up.

Who would have thought that lots of people would be willing to buy a Kindle DX for the price it sells for….

Posted by Mark on October 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

Apple iTablet:

- Light and small. As much as possible. Hint: the MacBook Air is too heavy and too large. A 400 to 600 g and 5 to 7 inch would be great.

- Mac OS X (touch version) inside to run NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint.

- Video-out and USB2 ports to connect to videoprojectors and use USB2-based remote controls like the Keyspan-by-Tripp Lite

The idea is to always carry it with you, on your hand, pocket, purse or bag. With a tremendous halo effect on all corporate, education and domestic markets. The ultimate presentation tool.

Posted by iLouX on October 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

TO THE ADMINS:

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO POST IF THE URL CONTAIN “H T T P : / /” (NO SPACES) ON THE LEFT OR IF ANYWHERE ON THE MESSAGE THAT IS TYPED!!!

Posted by iLouX on October 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

I don’t want a large iPhone I want a small, portable, computer with a real OS.  I had great hopes I think this is a bust.

Posted by KMW on October 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

This is another market maker.  It will expand apples share of the market by creating a new one.  KIndle…trounced with online books ( all the apps now on line for the iphoneipodtouch, now full color magazines etc.  Imagine rading the NY times or usa today on this thing

If it had a camera facing hte user and has phone capabilties it wil offer real time ichat like talking over the net or on 3g.  Then theyll start shrinking it down so it eventually merges with phones

Amazing

Posted by Jeff on October 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

I think most of the reports about Apple’s newest toy are missing something quite exciting about the forthcoming iPad device.  It is not simply going to be something between an iPhone and a Macbook.  I believe the iPad is primarily being developed for 3 reasons.  1- as a portable video device (movies via iTunes and with an HDTV tuner card for television on the go) and 2- as an internet device (obvious) and 3- as the new standard for portable gaming devices.

Why is no one talking about the explosive popularity of gaming and how this could revolutionize the way people interact via games?

Think about it.  Pull out your iPad, connect with other users in the room and around the world wirelessly, check the internet, play games, share songs, watch movies together.

Gaming baby.  That’s the reason for the iPad.

Posted by Jem on October 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

I reckon it’ll run the full Snow Leopard OS X. On the toolbar near the date and time (top right of screen on snow leopard) theres a button that opens up an on screen keyboard. So either this device will run Snow Leopard or Apple will introduce a Macbook or Macbook Pro tablet at the same time.

Posted by bingo jnr on October 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

Some of you guys are making me smile.  I have far weightier issues, such as within which pouch of my big-assed Brenthaven bag will I shove the Ipad thingy into, what with my hefty 17” MacBook Pro and cute IPodTouch already comfortably situated.  And another thing, which device to use in a pinch?

Posted by hotmojo1 on October 10, 2009 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

There is ANOTHER killer app for this device that no one has yet mentioned - iPad as a multi-touch display/control surface for other Macs.  Imagine it:  When paired to my desktop or iMac, the iPad’s screen takes the shape of acustom controls for whatever application I am using. Sliders for Logic, Wacom-style functionality for doing detailed photo touchups in PhotoShop right on the image!

Also, operating as a secondary (and wireless) display, images, presentations, and more could simply be dragged off screen and onto the iPad to be carried across the room or passed around a conference table.

To sya nothing of using the iPad from a position of repose (bed or couch) to control the (new?) Apple TV, media center dedicated Mac Mini, or any other machine in the house.  Scanning iTunes for a rental on the iPad while watching another show on the Apple TV connected television sounds pretty appealing.  Say, throw in x-10 and insteon compatability for home automation and we also have Crestron-like functionality for the entire home.

I also think it MUST have a screen-side camera for teleconferencing - there’s nothing more frustration than being shackled to an iMac or trying to give someone a virtual tour around your house while precariously holding MacBook up in the air.  The iPad could really solve this issue with a screed-side camera.

Oh, and yes, it also let’s you surf the web from the toilet.  wink

Posted by Justin Gunn on October 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

Nah - this new tablet needs to be able to save docs and the like for me to even thing about buying one and replacing my laptop/notebook.  Apple needs to get the folks that have an IPHONE, but use a laptop to switch to the tablet which I really cant see happening unless it has some PC like characteristics.  I see Steve and company a long way off from unveiling anything anytime soon.

Posted by gary on October 14, 2009 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

I like the idea of this device, but there’s no way I’d pay anywhere near $899 or higher for it, that’s almost what a Macbook costs.

That being said, $549-599 wouldn’t be a bad price for it; especially if turns out to be eligible for an education discount. My main concern is battery life…iPods already don’t exactly have the world’s best battery life. I wonder how this device would fare; my hope is that it would last longer than a regular Macbook, or its utility would be a bit limited.

Posted by Tony M. on October 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM (PDT)

OMG, I’m looking for a netbook for Christmas and this announce has catched my attention.
As other users says, if this pad will be a bigger version of iPhone I’m sure it will be a success because I know many people who only uses theirs laptops to read email and browse the web. So better screen, better experience—worth the money.

But, for me, I’m looking for a device which gives the same pleasure of usage, but at the same time can load a Word processor, a PowerPoint compatible suite and so on, so I can use it also in my business travels.

I don’t need the telephone option since I feel more comfortable with a palm sized phone and the tablet will make me look somewhat stupid speaking to the table, but that’s only my opinion.

Posted by Ramiro on October 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM (PDT)

If they do it right it can be a huge revenue generator.  I remember being in college and buying text books, yet only reading like 10 chapters out of the whole thing.  Imagine instead of paying $90 for the whole text book, you can buy only those ten chapters for like $30-$40.  It would so be worth it.
It has to be able handle multiple applications at once, if they just try and expand the size of an iphone, that is a complete waste of resources.  Steve is smarter than that.
It better be more than just a reader.

Posted by Brian on October 23, 2009 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Any word on whether it will support Powerpoint or Keynote presentations?  That’s my primary interest in this item.

Posted by Steve Wyatt on October 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

All those moaning about how this isn’t going to run OSX and give them access to the unix command line so they can sudo this and that… you’ve lost all touch with reality folks.

This is GOING TO RUN THE IPHONE OS.  If you think it should run the regular MAC OSX then its a good thing you’re not in product marketing or development.  At least I hope you aren’t.

If you want a touchscreen Apple Macbook with a rotating screen, well maybe Apple should build that for you.  For the moment they don’t think that makes sense (gorilla arm) and are instead pushing that nice large multi-touch trackpad.  If you disagree, then don’t buy an Apple product.  There are lots of PCs out there that already do this (badly).  Buy one of them.  So far they’ve all been significant failures, but things are changing and maybe now is the time for this category of products to succeed.  Go support the people (like ASUS) making touchscreen laptops.

But just because you want one of those, stop hoping THIS PRODUCT will be that.  Sorry, it won’t.  And yes its a completely different category of product.  And it will live or die without you.  That’s fine.  You don’t have to have one of everything.

This product can do a variety of nice things—it will have a full web browser, with color display, let you download newspapers and magazines and comics, play video, hopefully stream internet (flash) video from sites like Hulu (and Comcast TV Anywhere) while you sit in bed or on the couch.  Maybe it’ll become that multi-vendor TV remote you always wanted.  You’ll be able to remotely run your laptop or desktop if you want to using a product like Logmein, something already available on the iPhone (which works very well by the way).

Sure that giant screen might suck the battery dry too quickly.  Or if it doesn’t it might be too heavy.  Or hot.  Or underpowered.  Or unreponsive.  Or break too easily.  At this point you just have to trust that Apple usually gets these things about right on these fronts.  At least they do by the 2nd gen (Air).

I’m looking forward to this thing myself.  Assuming it even exists.

Posted by Fanfoot on October 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM (PDT)

as much as I would like this device for browsing the web and other multimedia applications, i would probably only buy it if it is able to run Remote Desktop Connection so that I can connect to my work PC and at least read and respond to emails (though being able to read and edit Word attachments would be a plus).

Posted by richie on November 4, 2009 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

This is the product I wanted to develop at Palm three years ago.  The perfect embodiment of doughhead-on-couch-tv-web.  Gawd.  Such a no-brainer.

Posted by Michael Tindell on November 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM (PDT)

Do we have to use any kind of contract for instance AT&T or Verizon in order to have a Mac tablet?

Posted by Renata on November 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM (PDT)

I want to persuade some that the iPhone OS is a fail. Many brought up valid points for the use of the iPhone OS and the app based approach. May I point out that the iPhone and iPod already fill this need? Consider the issue from my needs:

I am in a technical field. However, given budget constraints, I cannot afford a touchpad notebook with a pen. I was hoping this product would offer a pen (I don’t believe the rumors that the tablet will have one). If it is iPhone OS based, I doubt it will have the apps to run some statistical software such as R or SAS. Sometimes I need to run some quick code to on small data see whether or not a result I have is significant, not a super computer. As for personal use, a reader it will be, but I need much more.

I was hoping Apple was going to shake up the market by brining the touch notebook type device down to my needs. I hate Windows and PC’s, but with the courier, that may be the route I want to go. I feel dirty. I am actually planning to defect from all my PC’s at home and such, but may need to keep a PC at work if the tablet doesn’t deliver in this area. There will be many similar users in my area and I dare say academia (education as well). Typing notes is not faster, especially when you have a board full of formula’s.

That being said, I am sure there are other users for this tablet. I’m not an apple hater, actually, I am about to be a PC defector, so don’t bounce on me for bringing up this valid point. I feel in my gut that apple tablet 2 will have these things. Especially to pound on Microsuck, but I want it now.

Regards,
Geekyomega

Posted by Geeky Omega on November 16, 2009 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

I guess I am the target market here.  I would love a big screen iPod touch to surf the web, process emails on the go, read e-books in a coffeeshop, watch a movie or play some games. Running a slide show or a PowerPoint presentation would be handy too, especially if I could also connect to an external monitor. All of these apps are severely constrained on a tiny phone screen, especially if you don’t have the eyesight of an 20 year-old. I don’t want to edit content on PhotoShop or Final Cut Pro, not on this thing. This is a content viewer that is as easy to carry around as a paperback novel with 8 times the utility. Cool.

Posted by Nick Danger on November 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

I am a PC/wintel defector to Apple.
I would use this if it could Skype/cam and i would buy one for each of my creative team members. I would love Portable Touch 720p collaboration tool and this could be it. Let it run Flash Lite 3 and play scaled H.264 video. We would love to play one of our projects on the iPAD and offer it via appstore.

Its all good and we believe that now is the time for a good touch surface display tool to be an indispensable productivity enhancer.

Posted by jj on December 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

I’m looking forward to seeing the new Apple Tablet.  I always considered the IPhone too small.
I would really like to see a “roll up” portable keyboard and a “blow up” ergonomic portable keyboard for Mac.  This kind of portability is what I really need.

Posted by Phil on December 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

This is what I want:

1. Run Microsoft Office
2. Run Firefox, Safari, or Chrome
3. Play all formats of video and audio
4. Read all ebook formats (especially pdf, mobi, doc, lit, and txt)
5. PLAY NETFLIX AND HULU

If I can take notes in class (on Word with the virtual keyboard), look up stuff in Wikipedia and dictionary.com, watch videos between class, and get on the web..

I’d pay $1000 bucks for that device.

If this thing cannot be used to run Office or Google Docs so I can take notes on it, I can’t justify another device.

Posted by Roderic Rinehart on December 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM (PDT)

Where does the actual phone function of this projected device fit in?  Is it assumed that there will be a blue-tooth interface with an ear-piece/mic?  If so, will I need to have this large iPad in front of me to query my contacts list to dial out for me?  If so, will I have to make sure it is powered on near me to answer a quick call from my mom or kids who don’t yet text?  In other words, will I still have to carry another device to meet my telecommunications needs?  If so, sounds like more devices or perhaps, a terribly large cell phone to lug around…  I like all the other predictions about an iPad, but I haven’t heard anyone address this part of the mix.

Posted by Pammylu on December 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

I think everyone is missing the fact that Apple does a pretty good job of making products people can’t live without… They wouldn’t've waited as long as they have to release it only to have it be missing critical things like the ability to take notes or watch videos… The thing I’m really curious about is if it will have a cd slot or usb ports so that you can really use it as a computer or if it will have the ipod/iphone type plug to hook it up to another computer.

Posted by Patty on January 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

I’ve been waiting for these for a long time. But I hope someone else will also be able to make what I want (something that works like an iPod touch with a Kindle sized screen) at a much lower price.

I want to have 3 or 4 of these just laying around the house. Because of this, I want them to be inexpensive (<$500)

Posted by Scott on January 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

I just hope Apple has the common sense to unlock this device and make it not have the iPhone’s *ARTIFICIAL* limitations.  Truth is, the iPhone IS a full fledged computer if it weren’t for all the annoying limitations Apple put on it.  A jailbreaked iPhone reveals that the iPhone OS can multitask and exposes its filesystem to the world.

Knowing Apple, it is likely what’s going to happen on this iSlate/iPad/iTablet is that it’s going to have a slightly more open iPhone OS but still not fully open unlike that for desktops.  Some kind of jailbreaking would still add value to that.

Posted by John P on January 5, 2010 at 1:47 AM (PDT)

i was wrong the apple tablet is not a computer

Posted by bartner on January 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

Wow… I’m sorry to say this but this article is missing something. Apple has based itself off of innovation. They would never release something like what is described. The Ipod revolutionized the MP3 world. The Iphone blew the cell phone market away. PCs still cannot compete with the quality of MACs (besides lack of games for them). I feel Apple has something up their sleeve. Super big Ipod is less than thrilling and hardly worth buying in my mind and I’m sure it would be in Steve’s mind also.

Posted by Travis on January 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

What they need for it to work with iPhone OS:
A full Safari browser
A MS compatible office suite
3G(eventually 4G) Wireless

Otherwise, people will go for cheaper Win7 tablets that have these things.

Mobile iLife would also be very cool. Especially if they had a webcam on the front of it for iChat over 3G.

Posted by Jimmy Smith on January 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

I want something that does NOT require me to pay At&t or any other carrier another dime . .

Posted by Denitio del Toro on January 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

the tablet will be an estimated 800-1000 dollars
without a contract

Posted by dur duh dur on January 27, 2010 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

Bravo. Bang on. I know who to listen to in future.

Posted by Dan Morelle on February 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2