The $300 Bribe, Or, On How Not To Get An App Featured On iLounge (Updated)
It’s going to be very, very interesting to see where stories for this particular application wind up—we’ve omitted the name and related details so that no press is given to this title.
I’m [omitted] of [omitted], creator [omitted].
I’m developing the new version of [omitted] ([omitted] 2).
In order to promote my new version, I’d like to sell some more copies of the original [omitted] and spread the word of our upcoming application.
I’m willing to pay 300$ (USD) if you’ll write an article about [omitted] where you’ll mention about an upcoming version ([omitted] 2).
I’ll be able to pay you right after the article is published and you sent me a link - please include your paypal email
Let me know what you think
Thanks in advance,
The e-mail was sent to multiple members of our staff. We’ve already seen a story on it appear elsewhere. It’s not coming anywhere near iLounge.
Updated: Far from being shamed by an e-mail chiding him for trying to offer money for coverage, the developer increased his offer to $500.
Updated, Again: The developer is the creator of “Wobble.” You can see his subsequent attempts to offer cash for coverage here.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Tim Cook to host Hillary Clinton fundraiser
- Report: Apple to update Apple Store app with personalized recommendations
- Report: Apple now prioritizing autonomous driving system in car project
- WSJ: Apple’s ‘hard-charging’ approach unsuccessful in negotiations with TV networks
- Video purports to show official Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adapter
- New iPhone pre-orders to start Sept. 9?
- Apple has sold one billion iPhones
- Parkopedia to provide detailed parking information for Apple Maps [Updated]
- Microsoft releases Pix camera app for iPhone
- Adobe launches new Lightroom viewer for Apple TV
- Elgato Avea Flare Portable Mood Light
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app