The big show to come
Yes, the word is out, and it’s “Showtime” - Apple’s classically cheeky way of hinting just a little as to its plans for a special event. This one’s being held at a theater - just like the iPod photo and 5G video introductions - and the graphic accompanying the invitation depicts what appear to be spotlights. Is this a little Hollywood reference to herald the announcement of an iTunes Movie Store? Or is Apple just playing around? If we were betting, we’d guess the former, but who really knows?
As always, tons of rumors have been circulating about this event - most pointing to a huge, blowout collection of announcements that would be Apple’s equivalent of Shock and Awe for the holidays - but as noted in our news story, it’s literally impossible to know until the last minute what will actually be shown. Apple is constantly working on new products, and even if you’ve been trying to put the puzzle pieces together (Samsung CPU + metal body + flash memory = iPod mini 2?; AirPort Express + video = AirPort Express 2?; iPod 5G + widescreen + touchscreen = true iPod video), it’s really all guesswork.
Well, almost always. Last week, the Internet Radio show Your Mac Life correctly predicted the 9/12 event date, then suggested that it would be used to launch an iPod phone in conjunction with Cingular Wireless, featuring a touchscreen and seamless transition between iPod and phone interfaces. Bummer factor, according to YML: a crazy $500 price tag. The show has since retracted its comments (even including the 9/12 date) as speculation, but appetites have been whet for the concept of an iPhone for ages, and the show’s (semi-retracted) claims have only re-ignited everyone’s interest.
Before you get too excited about any specific product, recall that the rumor mill was calling for the release of Apple-branded HDTVs and masses of other consumer electronics earlier this year, and they never emerged. We think that this event will be different, but we’ll have to wait and see. The best advice we can offer at the moment is this: start saving those extra dollars, because Apple’s most likely going to have something you want to buy, and soon.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?