The big show to come
Yes, the word is out, and it’s “Showtime” - Apple’s classically cheeky way of hinting just a little as to its plans for a special event. This one’s being held at a theater - just like the iPod photo and 5G video introductions - and the graphic accompanying the invitation depicts what appear to be spotlights. Is this a little Hollywood reference to herald the announcement of an iTunes Movie Store? Or is Apple just playing around? If we were betting, we’d guess the former, but who really knows?
As always, tons of rumors have been circulating about this event - most pointing to a huge, blowout collection of announcements that would be Apple’s equivalent of Shock and Awe for the holidays - but as noted in our news story, it’s literally impossible to know until the last minute what will actually be shown. Apple is constantly working on new products, and even if you’ve been trying to put the puzzle pieces together (Samsung CPU + metal body + flash memory = iPod mini 2?; AirPort Express + video = AirPort Express 2?; iPod 5G + widescreen + touchscreen = true iPod video), it’s really all guesswork.
Well, almost always. Last week, the Internet Radio show Your Mac Life correctly predicted the 9/12 event date, then suggested that it would be used to launch an iPod phone in conjunction with Cingular Wireless, featuring a touchscreen and seamless transition between iPod and phone interfaces. Bummer factor, according to YML: a crazy $500 price tag. The show has since retracted its comments (even including the 9/12 date) as speculation, but appetites have been whet for the concept of an iPhone for ages, and the show’s (semi-retracted) claims have only re-ignited everyone’s interest.
Before you get too excited about any specific product, recall that the rumor mill was calling for the release of Apple-branded HDTVs and masses of other consumer electronics earlier this year, and they never emerged. We think that this event will be different, but we’ll have to wait and see. The best advice we can offer at the moment is this: start saving those extra dollars, because Apple’s most likely going to have something you want to buy, and soon.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0