The big show to come
Yes, the word is out, and it’s “Showtime” - Apple’s classically cheeky way of hinting just a little as to its plans for a special event. This one’s being held at a theater - just like the iPod photo and 5G video introductions - and the graphic accompanying the invitation depicts what appear to be spotlights. Is this a little Hollywood reference to herald the announcement of an iTunes Movie Store? Or is Apple just playing around? If we were betting, we’d guess the former, but who really knows?
As always, tons of rumors have been circulating about this event - most pointing to a huge, blowout collection of announcements that would be Apple’s equivalent of Shock and Awe for the holidays - but as noted in our news story, it’s literally impossible to know until the last minute what will actually be shown. Apple is constantly working on new products, and even if you’ve been trying to put the puzzle pieces together (Samsung CPU + metal body + flash memory = iPod mini 2?; AirPort Express + video = AirPort Express 2?; iPod 5G + widescreen + touchscreen = true iPod video), it’s really all guesswork.
Well, almost always. Last week, the Internet Radio show Your Mac Life correctly predicted the 9/12 event date, then suggested that it would be used to launch an iPod phone in conjunction with Cingular Wireless, featuring a touchscreen and seamless transition between iPod and phone interfaces. Bummer factor, according to YML: a crazy $500 price tag. The show has since retracted its comments (even including the 9/12 date) as speculation, but appetites have been whet for the concept of an iPhone for ages, and the show’s (semi-retracted) claims have only re-ignited everyone’s interest.
Before you get too excited about any specific product, recall that the rumor mill was calling for the release of Apple-branded HDTVs and masses of other consumer electronics earlier this year, and they never emerged. We think that this event will be different, but we’ll have to wait and see. The best advice we can offer at the moment is this: start saving those extra dollars, because Apple’s most likely going to have something you want to buy, and soon.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time?
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Foxconn struggling to meet demand for iPhone 6
- Apple to require app-specific passwords for third-party apps in iCloud
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Court throws out $368M FaceTime judgment against Apple
- Microsoft unveils iOS-compatible Universal Mobile Keyboard
- Apple: 33M iTunes users have accessed U2 album
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels