The big show to come
Yes, the word is out, and it’s “Showtime” - Apple’s classically cheeky way of hinting just a little as to its plans for a special event. This one’s being held at a theater - just like the iPod photo and 5G video introductions - and the graphic accompanying the invitation depicts what appear to be spotlights. Is this a little Hollywood reference to herald the announcement of an iTunes Movie Store? Or is Apple just playing around? If we were betting, we’d guess the former, but who really knows?
As always, tons of rumors have been circulating about this event - most pointing to a huge, blowout collection of announcements that would be Apple’s equivalent of Shock and Awe for the holidays - but as noted in our news story, it’s literally impossible to know until the last minute what will actually be shown. Apple is constantly working on new products, and even if you’ve been trying to put the puzzle pieces together (Samsung CPU + metal body + flash memory = iPod mini 2?; AirPort Express + video = AirPort Express 2?; iPod 5G + widescreen + touchscreen = true iPod video), it’s really all guesswork.
Well, almost always. Last week, the Internet Radio show Your Mac Life correctly predicted the 9/12 event date, then suggested that it would be used to launch an iPod phone in conjunction with Cingular Wireless, featuring a touchscreen and seamless transition between iPod and phone interfaces. Bummer factor, according to YML: a crazy $500 price tag. The show has since retracted its comments (even including the 9/12 date) as speculation, but appetites have been whet for the concept of an iPhone for ages, and the show’s (semi-retracted) claims have only re-ignited everyone’s interest.
Before you get too excited about any specific product, recall that the rumor mill was calling for the release of Apple-branded HDTVs and masses of other consumer electronics earlier this year, and they never emerged. We think that this event will be different, but we’ll have to wait and see. The best advice we can offer at the moment is this: start saving those extra dollars, because Apple’s most likely going to have something you want to buy, and soon.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Music to supply content to Musical.ly
- Apple now withholding royalty payments to Qualcomm as dispute escalates
- New Puff Daddy Documentary will be another Apple Music exclusive
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.3.2
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- FABRIQ AirPlay and Bluetooth Alexa-Enabled Speaker
- Advanced Evo X & M4
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10