The Cube Project, Part 1 | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

The Cube Project, Part 1

If you believe that computers are merely the sum of their chips, hard disks, and ports, the following picture may not make sense to you.

image

Welcome to iLounge, Power Mac G4 Cube. We are anxious to rebuild you.

The Cube Project, Part 2
The Cube Project, Part 3
The Cube Project, Part 4

« The Black MacBook Pro, Courtesy Incase Designs

Space Invaders Extreme, or, Does iPod Need $20 Games? »

Comments

Still one of my favorite Apple designs. Nice purchase for you guys!

It’s good that the Cube lives on in many ways in the Mac mini. Not as pretty, but 1/3 the price.

Any upgrades planned? HD, RAM, optical drive are obvious… Processor upgrade maybe? iSub to go with those beautiful Apple Pro Speakers?

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM (CST)

oh god, my eyes! too…many…cables!!

funny how our aesthete progresses, eh?

Posted by onlyshawn on March 8, 2008 at 3:38 PM (CST)

Man…that is one sexy computer, still! I always wanted one but couldn’t afford it. Congrats on your new toy iLounge. Enjoy!

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on March 9, 2008 at 3:32 AM (CDT)

I still run on a Cube as my daily desktop computer. Modified now with a 1.8GHz processor, 80GB hard drive and an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card. The monitor is a 23” HD of the same vintage. This was an original purchase, by me, and of course a 450MHz processor model.

Posted by 4dcube on March 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

wow.
got one sitting on my desk and never had any issues with it. Its about to become a server.

Posted by iamcubed on March 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

I like it . . . I like it alot.

I still think the current iMac is pretty darn sexy.  Going to be hard to top that one.

Let’s see what the boys out in Cupertino come up with next.  They have been doing pretty good of late.

Posted by Ben O. on March 18, 2008 at 1:10 PM (CDT)

I wished they’d produced a cube large enough to be an all-in-one, say 18” x 18” x 18”.

Posted by Lamb Saag on March 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

Alas, mine sits in a cardboard box in my server room. I cant bear to give it away and I don’t want to put the couple of hundred into it that would take to make it acceptable by todays computing standards. (Disk, DVD, CPU)

My only consolation is that I now use three Mac mini’s for a variety of tasks, including an early model as a computer for my Sony 42” flat panel TV. It is connected to my TimeCapsule by ethernet cable to goose internet speed to the max.

Leopard Screen Share allows me to control it from my MacBook Pro without any issues at all.

Posted by Dave on March 25, 2008 at 2:53 AM (CDT)

i just bought a cube on Amazon for $75.oo
every one says it’s a good looking but outdated antique. I just want to go onine and do word processing. Mabey use a simple draw program. Will the cube still download a web page with and ethernet connection in a reasonasble amount of time or will surfing be as tedious as it was 7-8 years ago?

Posted by bryan on December 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM (CST)

Yes it does work for word processing if you aren’t bothered by it overheating.
I use one in my room and disconnected it from the
Internet so I could use it solely for word processing and
Tony hawk pro skater 4. (need to upgrade graphics card).

Posted by John Doe on October 14, 2012 at 9:28 AM (CDT)