The new iPod nano poster, from Apple | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

The new iPod nano poster, from Apple

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Backstage Categories:

Spotted in an Apple Store: this series of new abstract iPod nano posters should be available for purchase. We snapped a shot of the blue one - there’s also a pink version, and quite possibly other colors as well. Each of the two posters we saw had a different Click Wheel-inspired design. What do you think?

image

« Apple’s amazing Tokyo elevator (video)

Nintendo’s Wii, Part V: Closing Thoughts (For Now) »

Comments

Definitely a different direction. Will reach people that weren’t reached with the previous campaigns.

Posted by Ted Wood on November 15, 2006 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

This totally reminds me of the chain reaction game..

and a bunch of pacmen.

Posted by Christopher Miranda on November 15, 2006 at 11:43 PM (PDT)

How large are these posters?
A rough estimate..?

Posted by Bobo on November 16, 2006 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

If I didn’t already know what the iPod nano was, this poster tells me nothing, and does nothing to inspire me to find out what it is.

Nothing will ever beat the perfect simplicity of the two-fold approach Apple used to have: a Picture of the device with variations on the “10,000 songs in your pocket” phrase and the dancing silhouettes. Everything you need to know about what the iPod is and how it can make you feel in in those ads.  It’s a cool-looking gadget that holds a ton of music, and music makes you feel so alive you just have to dance.

Does that mess of a poster say *anything* like that to anyone?

Posted by stark23x on November 16, 2006 at 1:46 AM (PDT)

... yaaaaawn!

Posted by nino on November 16, 2006 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

When an item is so famous that it does not even need to be portrayed anymore… it has probably reached a “star” status.

The click wheel says everything.
So does the smiling icon for a Mac.

Great poster.

Posted by verdaine on November 16, 2006 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

You really think that the click wheel is so famous that everyone recognizes it on sight, like the Nike swoosh or something?  No wonder Apple keeps making these kinds of mistakes.  Fanboys keep skewing market research.

Hate to break it to you, but outside the diehard fanbase, no one knows what the frak the clickwheel is.

Posted by stark23x on November 16, 2006 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

diehard fanbase? the ipod has become a very recognizable product and has a diehard fanbase of a few million people. i think its a great ad and i hope to see some cool new television commercials incorporating the new abstract marketing idea.

Posted by volta on November 16, 2006 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

I like this, bit high brow for some but a lovely piece of modernism for those who understand things like that.

Posted by James on November 16, 2006 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

Again ... diehard fanbase? I guess it’s true that only people who have used an iPod or closely associate with someone who does will recognize the click wheel. But wait a sec—Apple sold 39 million iPods in FY2006 and the pace appears to be increasing, so the number of diehard fans ain’t exactly a small one.

I think the posters are clever and well executed, but a little bit blah; however, given that the iPod has achieved status as a pop-culture icon, it’s entirely reasonable for Apple to try to capitalize on this in its advertising, in the same way that Nike or Coca-Cola does. Look for more print ads and collateral that may not be exactly the same as the posters but take the same “symbolic” approach.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on November 16, 2006 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

If I didn’t know what “iPod nano” was, but I saw a few of those posters around town then I’d definitely take the time to find out; if I wasn’t looking for a DAP then I’d probably be disappointed, but if I was then Apple would score huge points for the cool poster campaign, and I’d probably go in that direction.

But that’s just me, and people like me that are attracted to this sort of “artwork” all probably already have an iPod :p

Posted by Levi Pinder on November 16, 2006 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Hideous and lame. What kind of a ##### would pay money for something like that? Some wannabe artsy junior high kid, maybe.

Posted by jbn74sb on November 16, 2006 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Holy crap.  We have gone over the edge when a Apple poster is News.  I’m the biggest apple fan I know but this is TOO MUCH smile

Posted by Jeff on November 16, 2006 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Pacman and Mrs. Pacman should sue them.

Posted by Alberto on November 16, 2006 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

“I guess it’s true that only people who have used an iPod or closely associate with someone who does will recognize the click wheel. But wait a sec—Apple sold 39 million iPods in FY2006 and the pace appears to be increasing, so the number of diehard fans ain’t exactly a small one.”

So they’re marketing to people who just bought iPods?  Brilliant.

Come on.  They’re trying to attract new customers.  The average consumer who *doesn’t* already have an ipod won’t have the first clue what this poster is about.  It’s generic, boring and pretentious all at the same time.

The old ad campaign was genius.  You brag about the gadget’s size and capacity, then show them how carrying music around so easily will affect them emotionally.  It’s literally a perfect ad campaign.  It spoke to geeks, gadget freaks, hardcore music lovers and regular folks all at the same time.  This poster only speaks to washouts from Parsons design program.

Posted by stark23x on November 16, 2006 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

I think the poster is great art (obviously a lot of time was spent on the exact placement of the open triangles in each circle—they open top, right, bottom but not on the left where the clickwheel is, sort of leaving the clickwheel as the “opening” on that side), but they’re not terrific advertising. But I think that’s the point: the iPod is a cultural icon now as much as it is a product, so it can now start appearing as art, and not just marketing. Apple very much understands this transition and it’s nice to see them incorporate it into their advertising (/art).

Posted by Frank on November 16, 2006 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

Why whould someone willingly pay for an iPod poster, which is nothing more than an advertisement?!  This whole “iPod Culture” thing is ridiculous.

Posted by namo on November 16, 2006 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Wow, it’s well designed. Excellent use of negative space, and shapes.

Posted by Evan on November 16, 2006 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

I think it’s just supposed to be a cool poster.. not anything to be too deeply analyized. And there has to be like 10 people in the US who still don’t know what an iPod is, so I think this poster is basiclly for people to see what an abstract, youthfull company apple is and what the iPod represents. and plus it’s only in apple stores so clearly it is for people who know what the iPod is. idk, I like it.

Posted by Andrew H on November 16, 2006 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

PacMan anyone? wink

Posted by Reinier Meenhorst / www.djust.nl on November 17, 2006 at 2:24 AM (PDT)

The poster is brilliant. Strong 60’s mod theme.
Go Apple, their last ad theme was rubbish. I’m glad their maturing.

Posted by Saville on November 17, 2006 at 3:31 AM (PDT)

Well, guess it just show’s a mobile phone key pad…

Posted by porto on November 17, 2006 at 3:49 AM (PDT)

they’re creating an icon, beautiful work.

Posted by nick on November 17, 2006 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

The posters are up in Apple Stores - not anywhere else to our knowledge. So this is art for the sake of art, or marketing to the choir, not a new full-fledged abstrat art campaign.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 17, 2006 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

I like it. If I were at home (in Seattle, a city that has an Apple store), I’d be tempted to go out and buy one.

Posted by Brendan Murphy on November 17, 2006 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

I like how the implied “square” as would be defined by the four empty corners lined up properly seems to be building towards completion as you move upwards. I like the piece as art.

Posted by lkalliance on November 20, 2006 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Lol ... looks like ... nothing special. Like bad Pacman artwork.

Posted by Sikosis on November 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

temazepampill.blogspot.com temazepam

Posted by Bill on December 28, 2006 at 3:32 AM (PDT)