The Starbucks Song of the Day, DRM-Free
You probably already saw our news story noting that Starbucks was going to be giving away a bunch of music through the iTunes Store, a promotion that still has three or so weeks left to run. If you haven’t yet snagged any of the Song of the Day cards, here’s the way they work, with a potential DRM-free surprise.
Every day, Starbucks gives out thousands of cards for a single song from a single artist. The cards feature an artist photograph, name, and song title on the face.
The rear has the download code and instructions on how to redeem it through the iTunes Store. You’ll see the icon on the front page of the iTunes Store leading you to the code entry page.
Amazingly, the Herbie Hancock track here was downloaded in iTunes Plus format - a DRM-free 256K download—because I had iTunes Plus enabled. A friend with iTunes Plus disabled downloaded the same track and got the smaller DRMed version instead, so you might want to enable Plus before redeeming a code. Bear in mind that most artists don’t offer their music in DRM-free format, let alone for free, so you won’t always get DRM-less tracks; John Fogarty’s Gunslinger and Mavis Staples’ We Shall Not Be Moved arrived DRMed regardless of whether iTunes Plus was turned on or off.
The Starbucks/iTunes promotion runs until November 7 and consists of 37 songs. Who knows, maybe you’ll like something you hear?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- Apple introduces Apple SIM, multi-carrier cellular SIM card
- New iPad Smart Cases, Covers shown for iPad Air 2
- Apple unveils iPad mini 3, renames Retina iPad mini to iPad mini 2
- Apple debuts iPad Air 2
- iPad stats: 225 million sold, 675,000 apps
- Apple formally debuts iTunes 12 after three months of betas
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo Quad360 and QuadMax for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers