The Starbucks Song of the Day, DRM-Free
You probably already saw our news story noting that Starbucks was going to be giving away a bunch of music through the iTunes Store, a promotion that still has three or so weeks left to run. If you haven’t yet snagged any of the Song of the Day cards, here’s the way they work, with a potential DRM-free surprise.
Every day, Starbucks gives out thousands of cards for a single song from a single artist. The cards feature an artist photograph, name, and song title on the face.
The rear has the download code and instructions on how to redeem it through the iTunes Store. You’ll see the icon on the front page of the iTunes Store leading you to the code entry page.
Amazingly, the Herbie Hancock track here was downloaded in iTunes Plus format - a DRM-free 256K download—because I had iTunes Plus enabled. A friend with iTunes Plus disabled downloaded the same track and got the smaller DRMed version instead, so you might want to enable Plus before redeeming a code. Bear in mind that most artists don’t offer their music in DRM-free format, let alone for free, so you won’t always get DRM-less tracks; John Fogarty’s Gunslinger and Mavis Staples’ We Shall Not Be Moved arrived DRMed regardless of whether iTunes Plus was turned on or off.
The Starbucks/iTunes promotion runs until November 7 and consists of 37 songs. Who knows, maybe you’ll like something you hear?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?