The Super Bowl (iPod) Shuffle?
Published: Sunday, January 21, 2007
According to a number of reports, Apple’s purchased a block of ad time during the Super Bowl, causing many people to speculate that an announcement with The Beatles (say, focusing on the Love album, and just in time for Valentine’s Day) is just around the corner. As a Beatles fan and admirer of both the Love album and its (entirely coincidental(?), but iPod commercial-like) graphic design, I couldn’t help but think the idea was ideal. Until tonight.
Yup, the Chicago Bears are going to the Super Bowl. For the second time in history. You remember the last time, right? Let’s take a step back in time to 1986, courtesy of the 1985 team:
Hmmm… Super Bowl Shuffle… iPod shuffle. Not too much of a stretch, is it? Perhaps destiny has come knocking at Apple’s door. With the game coming up on February 4, Apple’s ad agency has plenty of time to top those fantastic dance moves and lyrics that went into the original, Grammy-nominated (!) song. William “The Refrigerator” Perry’s part is excerpted here as just one example:
“You’re lookin’ at the Fridge,
I’m the rookie.
I may be large, but I’m no dumb cookie.
You’ve seen me hit, you’ve seen me run.
When I kick and pass, we’ll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see.
The others, they all learn from me.
I don’t come here lookin’ for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle!”
Even the silhouette stuff would be pretty easy to do.
Or maybe not. Despite the Grammy nomination, there’s a good reason this isn’t available on iTunes, and why the Shuffle’s gone down in history as one of the craziest songs ever released. (Like it? Amazingly, you can buy a DVD, poster, or T-shirt here if you’re feeling nostalgic.) Anyway, congrats on making it back to the big game, Chicago; stick to your day jobs and we’ll be rooting for you. Just leave the singing to The Beatles.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple TV adds A&E, History, Lifetime channels
- Nike stopping FuelBand production
- Apple, Google seek exclusive game debuts
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac