The Super Bowl (iPod) Shuffle?
According to a number of reports, Apple’s purchased a block of ad time during the Super Bowl, causing many people to speculate that an announcement with The Beatles (say, focusing on the Love album, and just in time for Valentine’s Day) is just around the corner. As a Beatles fan and admirer of both the Love album and its (entirely coincidental(?), but iPod commercial-like) graphic design, I couldn’t help but think the idea was ideal. Until tonight.
Yup, the Chicago Bears are going to the Super Bowl. For the second time in history. You remember the last time, right? Let’s take a step back in time to 1986, courtesy of the 1985 team:
Hmmm… Super Bowl Shuffle… iPod shuffle. Not too much of a stretch, is it? Perhaps destiny has come knocking at Apple’s door. With the game coming up on February 4, Apple’s ad agency has plenty of time to top those fantastic dance moves and lyrics that went into the original, Grammy-nominated (!) song. William “The Refrigerator” Perry’s part is excerpted here as just one example:
“You’re lookin’ at the Fridge,
I’m the rookie.
I may be large, but I’m no dumb cookie.
You’ve seen me hit, you’ve seen me run.
When I kick and pass, we’ll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see.
The others, they all learn from me.
I don’t come here lookin’ for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle!”
Even the silhouette stuff would be pretty easy to do.
Or maybe not. Despite the Grammy nomination, there’s a good reason this isn’t available on iTunes, and why the Shuffle’s gone down in history as one of the craziest songs ever released. (Like it? Amazingly, you can buy a DVD, poster, or T-shirt here if you’re feeling nostalgic.) Anyway, congrats on making it back to the big game, Chicago; stick to your day jobs and we’ll be rooting for you. Just leave the singing to The Beatles.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?