The Super Bowl (iPod) Shuffle?
According to a number of reports, Apple’s purchased a block of ad time during the Super Bowl, causing many people to speculate that an announcement with The Beatles (say, focusing on the Love album, and just in time for Valentine’s Day) is just around the corner. As a Beatles fan and admirer of both the Love album and its (entirely coincidental(?), but iPod commercial-like) graphic design, I couldn’t help but think the idea was ideal. Until tonight.
Yup, the Chicago Bears are going to the Super Bowl. For the second time in history. You remember the last time, right? Let’s take a step back in time to 1986, courtesy of the 1985 team:
Hmmm… Super Bowl Shuffle… iPod shuffle. Not too much of a stretch, is it? Perhaps destiny has come knocking at Apple’s door. With the game coming up on February 4, Apple’s ad agency has plenty of time to top those fantastic dance moves and lyrics that went into the original, Grammy-nominated (!) song. William “The Refrigerator” Perry’s part is excerpted here as just one example:
“You’re lookin’ at the Fridge,
I’m the rookie.
I may be large, but I’m no dumb cookie.
You’ve seen me hit, you’ve seen me run.
When I kick and pass, we’ll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see.
The others, they all learn from me.
I don’t come here lookin’ for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle!”
Even the silhouette stuff would be pretty easy to do.
Or maybe not. Despite the Grammy nomination, there’s a good reason this isn’t available on iTunes, and why the Shuffle’s gone down in history as one of the craziest songs ever released. (Like it? Amazingly, you can buy a DVD, poster, or T-shirt here if you’re feeling nostalgic.) Anyway, congrats on making it back to the big game, Chicago; stick to your day jobs and we’ll be rooting for you. Just leave the singing to The Beatles.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Apple acknowledges iPad Pro charging problem, doesn’t have fix yet
- App Store rules may limit number of iPad Pro-specific apps
- iFixit tears down the Apple Pencil
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Logitech Create iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- Apple iPad Pro
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?