The Super Bowl (iPod) Shuffle?
According to a number of reports, Apple’s purchased a block of ad time during the Super Bowl, causing many people to speculate that an announcement with The Beatles (say, focusing on the Love album, and just in time for Valentine’s Day) is just around the corner. As a Beatles fan and admirer of both the Love album and its (entirely coincidental(?), but iPod commercial-like) graphic design, I couldn’t help but think the idea was ideal. Until tonight.
Yup, the Chicago Bears are going to the Super Bowl. For the second time in history. You remember the last time, right? Let’s take a step back in time to 1986, courtesy of the 1985 team:
Hmmm… Super Bowl Shuffle… iPod shuffle. Not too much of a stretch, is it? Perhaps destiny has come knocking at Apple’s door. With the game coming up on February 4, Apple’s ad agency has plenty of time to top those fantastic dance moves and lyrics that went into the original, Grammy-nominated (!) song. William “The Refrigerator” Perry’s part is excerpted here as just one example:
“You’re lookin’ at the Fridge,
I’m the rookie.
I may be large, but I’m no dumb cookie.
You’ve seen me hit, you’ve seen me run.
When I kick and pass, we’ll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see.
The others, they all learn from me.
I don’t come here lookin’ for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle!”
Even the silhouette stuff would be pretty easy to do.
Or maybe not. Despite the Grammy nomination, there’s a good reason this isn’t available on iTunes, and why the Shuffle’s gone down in history as one of the craziest songs ever released. (Like it? Amazingly, you can buy a DVD, poster, or T-shirt here if you’re feeling nostalgic.) Anyway, congrats on making it back to the big game, Chicago; stick to your day jobs and we’ll be rooting for you. Just leave the singing to The Beatles.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- AppleCare+ now covers battery replacement at 80% of original capacity
- Elton John, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Drake, St. Vincent, others to host Beats 1 shows
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ album to stream on Apple Music
- Apple publishes detailed list of Siri HomeKit commands
- Apple to pay 0.2 cents per song during Apple Music free trial
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Monitors
- SwitchEasy Canvas + Rave for iPad Air 2
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?