The Super Bowl (iPod) Shuffle?
According to a number of reports, Apple’s purchased a block of ad time during the Super Bowl, causing many people to speculate that an announcement with The Beatles (say, focusing on the Love album, and just in time for Valentine’s Day) is just around the corner. As a Beatles fan and admirer of both the Love album and its (entirely coincidental(?), but iPod commercial-like) graphic design, I couldn’t help but think the idea was ideal. Until tonight.
Yup, the Chicago Bears are going to the Super Bowl. For the second time in history. You remember the last time, right? Let’s take a step back in time to 1986, courtesy of the 1985 team:
Hmmm… Super Bowl Shuffle… iPod shuffle. Not too much of a stretch, is it? Perhaps destiny has come knocking at Apple’s door. With the game coming up on February 4, Apple’s ad agency has plenty of time to top those fantastic dance moves and lyrics that went into the original, Grammy-nominated (!) song. William “The Refrigerator” Perry’s part is excerpted here as just one example:
“You’re lookin’ at the Fridge,
I’m the rookie.
I may be large, but I’m no dumb cookie.
You’ve seen me hit, you’ve seen me run.
When I kick and pass, we’ll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see.
The others, they all learn from me.
I don’t come here lookin’ for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle!”
Even the silhouette stuff would be pretty easy to do.
Or maybe not. Despite the Grammy nomination, there’s a good reason this isn’t available on iTunes, and why the Shuffle’s gone down in history as one of the craziest songs ever released. (Like it? Amazingly, you can buy a DVD, poster, or T-shirt here if you’re feeling nostalgic.) Anyway, congrats on making it back to the big game, Chicago; stick to your day jobs and we’ll be rooting for you. Just leave the singing to The Beatles.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?