The Tonium Pacemaker. The iPod for DJs?
While purchasing music over at beatport.com yesterday I stumbled upon a hot new gadget I must have. The Tonium Pacemaker. I can’t believe I haven’t seen this thing before. All those DJs out there that wanted an iPod with pitch and mix capabilities, the Pacemaker may be your next purchase. After telling my DJ friend Pete about the Pacemaker, he said, “Hell, I could stand at the bar and DJ a set.”
The Pacemaker is a hand-held device with a 120GB hard drive and includes a Line out Crossfader, a Headphones Crossfader, Bend, Pitch, DJ Pause, Cue, Loop, EQ, Filter, Sound FX, Headphone Jack, Line out jack and a USB 2.0 connector. It supports MP3, VBR, AAC, WMA, WMA Lossless, OGG Vorbis, FLAC and WAV, but not iTunes protected AAC. If you’re like most DJs, you won’t care about iTunes protected music as most use high bit rate DRM free music in their virtual crates. I’m currently building a DRM free library of music just for mixing purposes.
The Pacemaker will be a fun way to build your sets on-the-go. It will compliment your current set-up, but not be the primary device. I use Serato Scratch Live, two Technics and a Vestax PCV-275 for mixing at home.
I haven’t been so excited about a new gadget since the iPhone was released. At about $750 bucks, it’s steep, but it packs a lot of tech any serious DJ or bedroom DJ will dig. Pacemaker.net has a lot of video tutorials where you can learn how to use each of the features.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Foxconn struggling to meet demand for iPhone 6
- Apple to require app-specific passwords for third-party apps in iCloud
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Court throws out $368M FaceTime judgment against Apple
- Microsoft unveils iOS-compatible Universal Mobile Keyboard
- Apple: 33M iTunes users have accessed U2 album
- Apple’s iPhone 6 NFC chip restricted to Apple Pay use
- Apple names Apple Watch execs, now hiring others
- Apple posts removal guide for U2’s Songs of Innocence album
- Apple medical trials will provide HealthKit insights
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010