The Tonium Pacemaker. The iPod for DJs?
While purchasing music over at beatport.com yesterday I stumbled upon a hot new gadget I must have. The Tonium Pacemaker. I can’t believe I haven’t seen this thing before. All those DJs out there that wanted an iPod with pitch and mix capabilities, the Pacemaker may be your next purchase. After telling my DJ friend Pete about the Pacemaker, he said, “Hell, I could stand at the bar and DJ a set.”
The Pacemaker is a hand-held device with a 120GB hard drive and includes a Line out Crossfader, a Headphones Crossfader, Bend, Pitch, DJ Pause, Cue, Loop, EQ, Filter, Sound FX, Headphone Jack, Line out jack and a USB 2.0 connector. It supports MP3, VBR, AAC, WMA, WMA Lossless, OGG Vorbis, FLAC and WAV, but not iTunes protected AAC. If you’re like most DJs, you won’t care about iTunes protected music as most use high bit rate DRM free music in their virtual crates. I’m currently building a DRM free library of music just for mixing purposes.
The Pacemaker will be a fun way to build your sets on-the-go. It will compliment your current set-up, but not be the primary device. I use Serato Scratch Live, two Technics and a Vestax PCV-275 for mixing at home.
I haven’t been so excited about a new gadget since the iPhone was released. At about $750 bucks, it’s steep, but it packs a lot of tech any serious DJ or bedroom DJ will dig. Pacemaker.net has a lot of video tutorials where you can learn how to use each of the features.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0