The Tonium Pacemaker. The iPod for DJs?
While purchasing music over at beatport.com yesterday I stumbled upon a hot new gadget I must have. The Tonium Pacemaker. I can’t believe I haven’t seen this thing before. All those DJs out there that wanted an iPod with pitch and mix capabilities, the Pacemaker may be your next purchase. After telling my DJ friend Pete about the Pacemaker, he said, “Hell, I could stand at the bar and DJ a set.”
The Pacemaker is a hand-held device with a 120GB hard drive and includes a Line out Crossfader, a Headphones Crossfader, Bend, Pitch, DJ Pause, Cue, Loop, EQ, Filter, Sound FX, Headphone Jack, Line out jack and a USB 2.0 connector. It supports MP3, VBR, AAC, WMA, WMA Lossless, OGG Vorbis, FLAC and WAV, but not iTunes protected AAC. If you’re like most DJs, you won’t care about iTunes protected music as most use high bit rate DRM free music in their virtual crates. I’m currently building a DRM free library of music just for mixing purposes.
The Pacemaker will be a fun way to build your sets on-the-go. It will compliment your current set-up, but not be the primary device. I use Serato Scratch Live, two Technics and a Vestax PCV-275 for mixing at home.
I haven’t been so excited about a new gadget since the iPhone was released. At about $750 bucks, it’s steep, but it packs a lot of tech any serious DJ or bedroom DJ will dig. Pacemaker.net has a lot of video tutorials where you can learn how to use each of the features.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T: All video chat apps will work over cellular in 2013
- Apple releases testimony before CEO’s Senate appearance
- New Apple offers in India can reduce iPhone price
- Report: Apple testing 1.5” OLED displays for iWatch
- Song skipping terms slowing iRadio negotiations
- iLounge Weekly arriving Monday, giveaway reminder
- Report: BBM iOS app won’t support iPad at launch
- Report: iRadio might miss WWDC debut
- Fair Labor Assoc.: Foxconn, Apple still exceed work hours
- CW to bring content to Apple TV
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- New Trent iCarrier IMP120D Dual USB Power Pack
- BlueFlame 2M Charge and Sync Cable with Lightning Connector
- HMDX Jam Party Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker
- Logitech Harmony Ultimate Universal Remote Control
- MyCharge Freedom 2000 Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Nike Nike+ FuelBand
- OCDesk OCDock for iPhone 5
- Bluelounge MiniDock (With Lightning Connector)
- Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation Pro
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox
- Can’t change iTunes Apple ID to iCloud e-mail address
- Effect of erasing an iPhone on the Find My iPhone feature