The Tonium Pacemaker. The iPod for DJs?
While purchasing music over at beatport.com yesterday I stumbled upon a hot new gadget I must have. The Tonium Pacemaker. I can’t believe I haven’t seen this thing before. All those DJs out there that wanted an iPod with pitch and mix capabilities, the Pacemaker may be your next purchase. After telling my DJ friend Pete about the Pacemaker, he said, “Hell, I could stand at the bar and DJ a set.”
The Pacemaker is a hand-held device with a 120GB hard drive and includes a Line out Crossfader, a Headphones Crossfader, Bend, Pitch, DJ Pause, Cue, Loop, EQ, Filter, Sound FX, Headphone Jack, Line out jack and a USB 2.0 connector. It supports MP3, VBR, AAC, WMA, WMA Lossless, OGG Vorbis, FLAC and WAV, but not iTunes protected AAC. If you’re like most DJs, you won’t care about iTunes protected music as most use high bit rate DRM free music in their virtual crates. I’m currently building a DRM free library of music just for mixing purposes.
The Pacemaker will be a fun way to build your sets on-the-go. It will compliment your current set-up, but not be the primary device. I use Serato Scratch Live, two Technics and a Vestax PCV-275 for mixing at home.
I haven’t been so excited about a new gadget since the iPhone was released. At about $750 bucks, it’s steep, but it packs a lot of tech any serious DJ or bedroom DJ will dig. Pacemaker.net has a lot of video tutorials where you can learn how to use each of the features.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Report: Apple behind San Francisco ‘mystery event’ in early September
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?