The Yellow iPod nano 5G Saga, Part 2: Click Wheel Gaps Worth Looking For
One of the fun things* about actually buying our iPods rather than getting them shipped to us free and early from Apple is that we get to experience the whole buying, defective unit, and return process just like you do. So when our yellow fifth-generation iPod nano died this morning after less than a day of use, we had the chance to re-experience Apple’s in-store customer service, which should be noted up front is considerably better these days than it was, say, six years ago. Bring in a totally dead new iPod, and they’ll swap it on the spot for a replacement. Easy and friendly. Apart from the whole “my iPod died in less than a day” thing, it’s great, but iPod defects aren’t the store’s fault.
The surprise: the replacement yellow iPod nano we received had a fairly big, obvious gap next to the left side of its Click Wheel, evident before we opened the plastic case. This struck as as odd: wouldn’t dirt or dust be able to get in there? We could see something resembling a connector through the gap, so we shot this photo through the box before opening it. Then we went back and looked at the other eight nanos, and a couple of them had gaps, too, but they were smaller and not as immediately noticeable. Most were properly made from edge to edge. Touching the yellow nano’s Click Wheel let us center it a little better, but it does have a little bit of give inside the metal shell. The give appears to be due to a change in the way Apple is assembling the fifth-generation nanos—Click Wheels were better attached to the fourth-generation models—but the gap is definitely more pronounced in some shells than others. We’d suggest that you check your box with a little tilt before you pay for your purchase.
This sort of stuff can’t be found in an Apple press release, but it does impact the quality of the user experience. That’s just one of the reasons we actually spend a bunch of time testing these things before we review them. [* = “Fun,” as used in this and the preceding article, doesn’t actually mean “fun.” It’s actually no fun at all to have to deal with iPod defects.]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?