Time-Lapse Photographs and the iPhone
Two months ago, I wrote about a way to create panoramic photos using the iPhone’s camera. This week, during a visit to our in-laws in Cumbria, I decided to try and push the iPhone again and see if I could capture some worthwhile images of the birds that feed outside the house. Rather than just taking one or two pictures, or trying to make a bird feeding panorama, I used FotoTimer v2.0 to take a series of sequential, time-lapse shots.
Since the iPhone’s lens and color performance is limited, I decided to do a little testing to optimize the color balance and focus before taking the pictures. Once I felt comfortable that the shots were going to be exposed well, I set the iPhone up close to the actual feeding stations, and had to figure out how to hold it in the same spot for minutes at a time. After a bit of head scratching, I opted to use a big rubber band and a six foot garden cane which was in an outbuilding. After pushing the cane into the ground at a suitable distance to the bird feeders, I tied the iPhone to it with the rubber band tie. This isn’t the best or safest way to mount an iPhone, I know, but there’s no tripod… I wonder if Apple would mind if someone made one called “iPhone tripod?”
Setting FotoTimer to take a picture every 15 seconds for 15 minutes, I then left it running.
The resulting pictures, when viewed on the iPhone as a “slideshow,” gave the images a time-lapse effect, and after importing them into iMovie I produced a short film of the bird life visiting the bird feeders. You can view the iPhone time-lapse movie here.
Once again the basic iPhone camera plus one of the many photo apps available does produce some reasonable results. Even if the new iPhone does get a better camera and video recording functionality, it’s nice that current iPhone and iPhone 3G users at least have something cool to play with whilst we wait for contracts to expire.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?