TiVo stages comeback with DirecTV, Echostar wins
Good news for those who have been wondering about TiVo’s prospects going forward: right on the heels of an agreement the company just reached with DirecTV to continue providing TiVo-licensed services to the company’s 2 million existing DirecTiVo customers for 3 years, TiVo has just won a major patent infringement lawsuit against EchoStar relating to its simultaneous recording and playback technologies. While the revenue impact of the DirectTV deal isn’t known, the Echostar award is presently set at $73 million - and right about now, other infringers are most likely getting ready to open their wallets, as well.
The TiVo deal oft-mentioned on Backstage expires 2 days from now, so if you’re looking to get both the Lifetime Service and hardware at a very reasonable price, read this article now, before it’s too late. Circuit City has them for $69 (80-Hour) right now for local pickup; an Amazon order at the same $69 price would probably take too long to deliver for you to take advantage of “the deal.” Otherwise, the company’s still offering monthly subscriptions (now including hardware without any up-front cost) for $16.95 and up; additional details are inside, and your referrals are still very much appreciated.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple names Apple Watch execs, now hiring others
- Apple posts removal guide for U2’s Songs of Innocence album
- Apple medical trials will provide HealthKit insights
- iLife and iWork apps to be pre-installed on 64/128 GB iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Report: Apple gets 0.15 percent from each Apple Pay transaction
- Apple announces record 4M+ pre-orders for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple and U2 to work together on music innovation
- Video Review: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Apple delaying SMS Continuity until October?
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010