TiVo stages comeback with DirecTV, Echostar wins
Good news for those who have been wondering about TiVo’s prospects going forward: right on the heels of an agreement the company just reached with DirecTV to continue providing TiVo-licensed services to the company’s 2 million existing DirecTiVo customers for 3 years, TiVo has just won a major patent infringement lawsuit against EchoStar relating to its simultaneous recording and playback technologies. While the revenue impact of the DirectTV deal isn’t known, the Echostar award is presently set at $73 million - and right about now, other infringers are most likely getting ready to open their wallets, as well.
The TiVo deal oft-mentioned on Backstage expires 2 days from now, so if you’re looking to get both the Lifetime Service and hardware at a very reasonable price, read this article now, before it’s too late. Circuit City has them for $69 (80-Hour) right now for local pickup; an Amazon order at the same $69 price would probably take too long to deliver for you to take advantage of “the deal.” Otherwise, the company’s still offering monthly subscriptions (now including hardware without any up-front cost) for $16.95 and up; additional details are inside, and your referrals are still very much appreciated.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?