TiVo stages comeback with DirecTV, Echostar wins
Good news for those who have been wondering about TiVo’s prospects going forward: right on the heels of an agreement the company just reached with DirecTV to continue providing TiVo-licensed services to the company’s 2 million existing DirecTiVo customers for 3 years, TiVo has just won a major patent infringement lawsuit against EchoStar relating to its simultaneous recording and playback technologies. While the revenue impact of the DirectTV deal isn’t known, the Echostar award is presently set at $73 million - and right about now, other infringers are most likely getting ready to open their wallets, as well.
The TiVo deal oft-mentioned on Backstage expires 2 days from now, so if you’re looking to get both the Lifetime Service and hardware at a very reasonable price, read this article now, before it’s too late. Circuit City has them for $69 (80-Hour) right now for local pickup; an Amazon order at the same $69 price would probably take too long to deliver for you to take advantage of “the deal.” Otherwise, the company’s still offering monthly subscriptions (now including hardware without any up-front cost) for $16.95 and up; additional details are inside, and your referrals are still very much appreciated.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?