Tomorrow, Dreams Come True | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Tomorrow, Dreams Come True

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Backstage Categories:

Think about the last few Apple Events: they’ve been good, and they’ve produced some really popular iPods, but they haven’t been “great.” Like “that’s exactly the iPod I’ve been waiting for, forever” sort of great, or “that’s exactly the announcement I’ve wanted Apple to make” sort of great. Note up front that iLounge has never hyped these events, either.

image

I seriously believe tomorrow is going to be different. I think it’s going to be the day when iPod die-hards, technology geeks, and mainstreamers alike are all going to be genuinely excited by what Apple is going to show. In short, if the release of the iPod mini signaled the start of Apple’s dominance of the digital music player business, and the nano and 5G signaled the end for most of its small competitors and beginning of its video initiative, tomorrow is going to be the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft, Sony, and the bigger players as well. Yes, even with their recent announcements. The only people who will be upset are those who aren’t already on the bandwagon, or the few who (sorry, NBC) jumped off early and got hit by it.

There will be questions, of course, and we’ll do our best to answer them once the event is over, but as the clock ticks down, I have one piece of advice: no matter who you are, get your wallet ready. Dreams are about to come true.

« The iPhone, the iPod touch and me

The Other Side of the NBC/iTunes Story? »

Comments

Posted by Art Linklater on September 4, 2007 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

If Jeremy is this excited, then we all know something big is about to go down!!  Tomorrow can not be here soon enough!!

Posted by ajmiarka on September 4, 2007 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

My dreams come true would be; a) if Google licensed the iPhone, and b) if all new iPods were OS X powered. 2 segment earthquakes!

Posted by topchat on September 4, 2007 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

topchat…why’re you that excited about osx powered ipods?  I’m not being sarcastic, that’s an honest question.  I mean, i guess that would be cool, but how much does it really get me?

Posted by OnlyShawn on September 4, 2007 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Agreed.  My 5G 30GB died earlier this summer,,but I knew we were due for an update after the iPhone release.  So I went out and got a 8GB nano to hold me over.  Last week, I got the news I wanted.  A Sept. 5 special event by Apple in a room they usually make new iPod announcements in.

Can.
Not.
Wait!

Posted by Peterphan on September 4, 2007 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

tomorrow its the last day of my partner trough good times and bad times and i mean my 5.5 80 gb, :( im sorry about him, he is still a good mp3 player, but tomorrow hahahaha we the ipod nation will rise again and like jeremy said ” get your wallet ready” you betcha baby HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by superbientotal on September 4, 2007 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Look at the major 2007 product announcements: the iPhone, the Apple TV, Final Cut Studio 2, new iMacs, the new iLife and iWork. Regardless of whether some of these things are a little feature-deficient, they all deliver amazing technology to the table. (You gotta admit, even if you don’t like the new slimmed-down iMovie, that the skimming feature is pretty awesome.) It feels like Apple’s on a roll, and now they’re making a new iPod announcement. The bar’s being set pretty high.

Posted by joshspazjosh on September 4, 2007 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

Does anyone have any guesses on if any of the new goods will be actually sold at the Apple stores tomorrow? I’m wondering if I should camp out near a store for some Wednesday 10am goodness grin

Posted by Greg on September 4, 2007 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

i predict::
this is a teaser ..
the real event will be in 4weeks..
..the rest of the story..
remember the 4g?

Posted by amkaos on September 4, 2007 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

i predict::
this is a teaser ..
the real event will be in 4weeks..
..the rest of the story..
remember the 5g?

edited post

Posted by amkaos on September 4, 2007 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

I’m due for a new iPod (my 4G U2 20 GB iPod has begun skipping on various tracks) so I’m really excited to see what Apple are gonna announce - great timing smile .

Posted by Christian Otte on September 4, 2007 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Nice piece of writing Jeremy, I think the same. It really shows how excited the world is for new iPods, while not over-hyping anything. This is why I read iLounge.

Posted by anti-luddite on September 4, 2007 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Yeh, what will OSX do for you.  Maybe directly all not that much.  I think basically Apple doesn’t have a mobile OS, so OSX is what they’ll use to unify everything.  Why bother to develop a different OS for all their devices.  I believe that this iPod will probably allow developers to put many different apps on it.  It also may offer a more robust GUI than what they used before.  If it’s going to run iChat and maybe have security features built into it OSX is ready for the task.  OSX is developed and ready to go.
I’m probably blowing smoke, but your question certainly valid and will be properly answered by knowledgeable people in the coming months.

Posted by Constable Odo on September 4, 2007 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

Usually when I buy an Apple product, Apple does something incredible right after; i.e. bought a PowerMac G3 with Apple Credit Card reward dollars in 12/98, then came iMac; got a iPod mini from Song airlines, then came nano.

But since I’ve held off and haven’t gotten a new iPod or an iPhone, I think I’ve jinxed tomorrow’s announcements.

Posted by mark on September 4, 2007 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

I am at the point where I am afraid that tomorrow won’t live up to the hype. I want what everyone else wants right now, but at this point, if all these predictions don’t come through I am afraid that I am going to feel like I didn’t get my Red Ryder BB gun for xmas.

Posted by dutchy on September 4, 2007 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

I hate to say it, but I’ve hardly slept the last few nights I’ve been so excited. (C’mon widescreen, touch, video, 100gb ipod)

Posted by ipodder on September 4, 2007 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

dutchy…you’ll put your i out.

Posted by onlyshawn on September 4, 2007 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

I predict that Jobs will step down from Apple.  Even though he’s leaving, the beat goes on.

Posted by Paul on September 4, 2007 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

This is the clincher for me to drop my 40G from ‘04.

Posted by DSM on September 4, 2007 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

Widescreen would be nice, but I doubt that it’s happening. I actively *don’t* want touchscreen (my 5G iPod is far easier to operate in the car than my iPhone).

I’d be perfectly happy with a 120GB iPod in the existing form factor.   : )

Posted by Rob Marquardt on September 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

This sounds awesome.  I hope we get news on all 3 new, updated iPods, plus new carriers for iPhone. (Might be a stretch.) Plus, I really want the Beatles complete remastered collection, plus the music of George Harrison.

Posted by Wade on September 4, 2007 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

guess what? You can actually buy the Beatles on CD! C’mon people, is it really that big of a deal?

Posted by dutchy on September 4, 2007 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

“Dreams Come True?”  Sounds dramatic.

Posted by Monkfish on September 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

So, you have 5% of the OS market. How to fix that? 1. produce a device that is cool in its own right. 2. market the hell out of it until it’s popular and dominant in the marketplace. 3. wait a while. 4. move your OS to said device. 5. Allow 3rd party development, leveraging all those developers that already exist.

Suddenly, your OS is everywhere, attracting new developers to it, and by extension to your platform. Looks likea great strategy to eat away at Windows by stealth. Is tomorrrow step 4? Almost certainly. Step 5? Dunno, but I sure hope so!

Posted by Graham_C on September 4, 2007 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

‘Tomorrow, Dreams come true’?

My god - a tad overdone wouldn’t you say? We all love our iPods, but the flippin things aint going to cure cancer. Let’s put this in perspective people…

Posted by Captain Crusher on September 4, 2007 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

My iPod dream is no more synching with the computer, the ability to share without drm, to use it to see through women’s clothes, and to have a touch-creen phone built into it.

Posted by iPodGodsAreSmiling on September 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

Captain Crusher=Steve Ballmer

Posted by weknow on September 5, 2007 at 3:09 AM (PDT)

Damn. Just checked and all my iPods are still in perfect working order… Quick, I need an excuse to spend money tomorrow!!

Posted by jaydee on September 5, 2007 at 3:53 AM (PDT)

This is not about prospective. It is about iPods. If you can not see the influence one small device has made on popular culture, you have missed the boat. No, and iPod will not cure cancer. It was never promised to do so, but it will “hopefully” deliver a more desirable multi-media experience to those that use them.

Posted by Don on September 5, 2007 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

sorry, but no integrated bluetooth (WITH AD2P, not the crippled iPhone crap) = no new ipod for me.  if they drop the ball on this AGAIN I will be leaving behind my nano for the Samsung YP-T10

Posted by sublimnl on September 5, 2007 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

im from australia… does this mean i have to wait even longer for the new ipod? will we even get it here at all? as far as i know aussies cant get the iphone… which sucks coz i totally want one… ARGH… apple needs to start thinking bout us poor aussies… i NEED my ipod stuff…

Posted by Leah H on September 5, 2007 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

@Leah H: This is an iPod we’re talking about, not a phone, which must be tethered to a carrier. Of course we’ll get the ‘Pods here in Australia tomorrow. I’ll be up at 6:00 AM to buy whatever replaces both the Nano and the full-size iPod.

Posted by Japester on September 5, 2007 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

Our local Apple store has been open for about a year, and they just closed for renovation. They reopen on September 14th, if that gives any indication.

Posted by mysteryd8 on September 5, 2007 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

A response to “why does OSX matter so much?”

The desktop computing is many years in advance compare to the mobile computing. Most technologies will matters first to the desktop computing, and then when the power of mobile platform will reach the minimum for it to work, will be ported to a mobile platform.

Look at Safari on an iPhone or what can be done using Core Animation.

With all the technologies integrated in OS X (spotlight, core data, iChat, ARD, global todo management (leopard), there is a considerable amount of things that can be done by Apple on the mobile side. They can be really fast at porting all that to OS X.

And OS X for Mac and mobile share a same source base.

So thing that can be really spectacular in the coming years…

Posted by FrenchMac on September 5, 2007 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

Maybe Jobs puts out an iPod that cures cancer! Who knows what kind of radiation the iPhone throws off…lol

My iBook just bricked, and I had to get a macbook. I got a free Nano with it (they are getting rid of them I suppose) so I won’t be buying either way…

I’ll still be watching tho!!!

Posted by James on September 5, 2007 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

Does anyone think it will have an aluminum finish? (new iMac)

Posted by Sam on September 5, 2007 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

I don’t know, I would qualify this year’s Macworld presentation as truly “great”, probably one of the best product introductions ever.

If we get a phone-less iPhone with more storage, that would be good but nothing groundbreaking - the iPhone was groundbreaking.  The technology already exists for sale.

I’m not looking for anything more than what most people already expect.  Hope I’m surprised.

Posted by Steve on September 5, 2007 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

My bet - no phoneless iPhone.

The iPhone is only available in one market - no way Apple releases that functionality in a cheaper package worldwide before the premium package is available…

Posted by WhoCares on September 5, 2007 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

and even better, regarding The Beatles ...... you can get superior recordings that have been needle-dropped from vinyl on Bittorrent ... for free!!

Frankly, I wouldn’t be excited about The Beatles on iTunes until they update the existing retail catalogue (the individual album masterings date back to 1986-1988!!)

Posted by cbar1965 on September 5, 2007 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Ooh, the store is down. Something wicked this way comes!

Posted by nole755 on September 5, 2007 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Well????????????????

Is it here????????

Should I start getting sick here at work & go home early????????

Posted by Ipod Black Belt on September 5, 2007 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Apple Press Event

10:13 am PDT   nano with video cover flow games. Steve has it in his pocket. Fat as predicted. Shorter. Two inch screen. Rounded corners, all metal body. same number of pixels as video. New split screen interface. Three games included. Demoing Vortex. Selling more games from EA.

Posted by Ipod Ninja on September 5, 2007 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

10:26 iPod will now be called iPod classic. Full metal design. 80 gb to start. 30/5 hours batt life. Same interface as nano. Slightly thicker for 160 gb. I smell another new model coming. “Classic” means Apple is putting a product out to pasture. 40/7 batt on 160. Price $249 and $349. In stores this weekend.

10:30 Here comes the iPhone-like iPod. Called iPod touch. Same interface as iphone. Looks the same but thinner.

Posted by Ipod Samurai on September 5, 2007 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

...but no iPod we’ve all been waiting for (160GB touchscreen widescreen iPod - the iPhone with no phone).

Instead, a paltry 16GB for the iPhone with no phone.

The iPod classic gets 160GB, but not a very big screen!

Posted by Deek on September 5, 2007 at 12:09 PM (PDT)