Update: Slingbag backs up Axio’s Hardsleeve
If it seems like we’ve been discussing a lot of MacBook stuff here lately, yeah, there’s been more than we’ve expected, some interesting, some not. Axio’s new Slingbag (aka Sling Bag, $50) is on the edge. It’s one of those accessories-for-an-accessory sort of concepts: you buy it if you got one of Axio’s cool hard plastic Hardsleeves for your MacBook or MacBook Pro, then realized that the Hardsleeve lacked for a carrying strap and extra pockets. Slingbag has enough room inside to fit the Hardsleeve-covered 13” or 15” MacBooks without a problem, and alternately can hold any MacBook up to 17” with no Hardsleeve attached.
Well, sorta. In order to hold the thick, big Hardsleeve, Slingbag’s laptop compartment has to be on the capacious side, and though it’s padded, it’s not exactly packed with memory foam or a removable insert to keep your 1” thick, Hardsleeve-less laptop from bouncing around. This is really a bag for the Hardsleeve, albeit a nicely appointed one, with three pockets large enough for any accessories you might want to lug around, two zippered, and one Velcro-shut. One of the zippered pockets features a protected hole for use with an iPod’s headphone cord; the other has spaces for pens and keys.
Another surprise is that the front flap is basically just there for padding - what appears to be a zippered compartment near its top is actually just a stylized stripe in the nylon exterior. The case’s back, however, actually places an unsecured pocket under this stripe, appropriate perhaps for a notepad, magazines, or something else that isn’t loose enough or likely to fall out while it’s being carried. An adjustable-length but non-detachable strap is also found on the back, with a generously-sized, nicely padded shoulder piece. As the product’s name suggests, Slingbag’s intended to be slung, not carried on your back, and the strap makes slinging plenty comfortable.
Necessary? No. The Hardsleeve may well work fine on its own, depending on your needs. But with a total price of $130 for the Hardsleeve and Slingbag combination, you’re looking at about the same total investment you’d make for most of Axio’s other full-sized backpacks, such as Fuse ‘06, Urban, or Swift, and you get the versatility of two pieces that can be used with or without each other. Speaking for ourselves, we’d be inclined to prefer a single-piece option like Swift, or to consider (for smaller laptops such as the 13” MacBook) some of Axio’s less expensive hard cases, but the Slingbag/Hardsleeve combination will have its fans.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?