Update: Slingbag backs up Axio’s Hardsleeve
If it seems like we’ve been discussing a lot of MacBook stuff here lately, yeah, there’s been more than we’ve expected, some interesting, some not. Axio’s new Slingbag (aka Sling Bag, $50) is on the edge. It’s one of those accessories-for-an-accessory sort of concepts: you buy it if you got one of Axio’s cool hard plastic Hardsleeves for your MacBook or MacBook Pro, then realized that the Hardsleeve lacked for a carrying strap and extra pockets. Slingbag has enough room inside to fit the Hardsleeve-covered 13” or 15” MacBooks without a problem, and alternately can hold any MacBook up to 17” with no Hardsleeve attached.
Well, sorta. In order to hold the thick, big Hardsleeve, Slingbag’s laptop compartment has to be on the capacious side, and though it’s padded, it’s not exactly packed with memory foam or a removable insert to keep your 1” thick, Hardsleeve-less laptop from bouncing around. This is really a bag for the Hardsleeve, albeit a nicely appointed one, with three pockets large enough for any accessories you might want to lug around, two zippered, and one Velcro-shut. One of the zippered pockets features a protected hole for use with an iPod’s headphone cord; the other has spaces for pens and keys.
Another surprise is that the front flap is basically just there for padding - what appears to be a zippered compartment near its top is actually just a stylized stripe in the nylon exterior. The case’s back, however, actually places an unsecured pocket under this stripe, appropriate perhaps for a notepad, magazines, or something else that isn’t loose enough or likely to fall out while it’s being carried. An adjustable-length but non-detachable strap is also found on the back, with a generously-sized, nicely padded shoulder piece. As the product’s name suggests, Slingbag’s intended to be slung, not carried on your back, and the strap makes slinging plenty comfortable.
Necessary? No. The Hardsleeve may well work fine on its own, depending on your needs. But with a total price of $130 for the Hardsleeve and Slingbag combination, you’re looking at about the same total investment you’d make for most of Axio’s other full-sized backpacks, such as Fuse ‘06, Urban, or Swift, and you get the versatility of two pieces that can be used with or without each other. Speaking for ourselves, we’d be inclined to prefer a single-piece option like Swift, or to consider (for smaller laptops such as the 13” MacBook) some of Axio’s less expensive hard cases, but the Slingbag/Hardsleeve combination will have its fans.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!