Yikes! iPod touch’s Rear Camera Capped at 960x720 Stills! | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Yikes! iPod touch’s Rear Camera Capped at 960x720 Stills!

Yup, it’s official: the new iPod touch got a rear camera, but it’s not an iPhone 4-quality 5-megapixel shooter, an iPhone 3GS-quality 3-megapixel version, or even an iPhone-quality 2-megapixel version. Instead, it’s just shy of 0.7 megapixels, with 960x720 still resolution, outputting 720p videos at 1280x720. So don’t expect to toss out your point-and-shoot pocket camera—or an iPhone 4—for the iPod touch. This camera’s just for the kiddies.

The front camera? 640x480 VGA, like the iPhone 4’s.

« How the new iPod touch does FaceTime

Last-Minute Fourth-Generation iPod touch Details (And 3G / VoIP Rumors) »

Comments

@YouDownWithOPP (#98): Still images are most likely being cropped to produce a standard 4:3 picture, which is what almost every other still camera produces. Pro-grade DSLRs are a bit different with 3:2 pictures, but that’s still far short of the 16:9 “widescreen” format used by HD recording.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM (CDT)

.7 megapixels?  WTF?  I’m fine with my 2g iPod.  Apple just lost another $300.

Posted by Kyle on September 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

hey u guys one thing to think about is that when the ipod touch 3rd gen came out the 8 gb costed 299$ and now the new ipod touch that is coming out has 32gb and is priced at 299$ they have to make it cheep to sell it at that price. and if you havnt watched the new video on apple.com the new 4.1 ios update is going to make the camera better. so no reason to jailbreak

Posted by b-rad on September 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM (CDT)

@kloan

I am selling my ipod touch 3rd gen. If you’re interested contact me on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Eegards

Posted by Daniele on September 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM (CDT)

Never bought a Apple product before - this one sounded interesting but I need a camera that can take document snapshots - not some toy for teens.

Posted by Ben on September 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

I have a 2G Touch and I’m thinking hard about getting the 4G.  So far what I have heard is only speculations about how it can perform.  No real hands on experience! So okay, some won’t Pre-order, most won’t be making a big line outside the store to get it but I’m sure when you get to test it or read real reviews on performance, that will change the minds of a lot of people.

I did wanted a GPS but AT&T charges for a data plan to download the maps of your location.  My android does that perfectly though, so no loss there :-)

Posted by Joaquin on September 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

I agree with everyone - this is a huge disappointment since my main interest was to not have to carry a camera and the iPod around.  I have as company-provided Blackberry with useless camera and no ability to store or transfer photos (company limited) or take video. I would have been happier if the new iPod was the same size with bigger battery and 3MP still camera.  Then i could keep my Kroo case. Who do they get for focus groups? Who asked for a smaller Touch??

Posted by Larry Voss on September 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

we should boycott Apple! put them in their place! so they’re not always abusing their consumers by leaving features for their products put just to leave it for the next upgrade! they know we’ll buy the product without that feature! “they want to please their customers” but their not…they’re just in it for the money…
it’s the same with the iPad…everyone wondered ‘why no iSight on the front???’ well…that’s their point…leave it for next gen! andake more money! same with the iPod touch! surely they coulda put a better still camera WITH the HD video…they didn’t want to…they know ppl will buy it no matter if it has good still or not…
I am gonna still buy it…they got me…but if there was some kind of ‘boycott’ of not buying the touch to cause the sales of the touch to go waaaay down…I’m in…but only if thousands of ppl join in it….it would be really interesting! put Apple in their deserved spot-not abusing their customers just for the sake of making more money!

boycott? it would be awsome if the iPod touch sales would be REALLY low! someone that’s able should launch a ipodtouch boycott site! HAHAHA

Posted by Michael on September 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

Dear Apple

I would like to thank you for allowing me to save $300 again this year. You guys are the next best thing to an automatic savings plan at work! Each year you manage to leave off or offer a substandard feature that I’m really looking for in a product upgrade.

At this rate, I think I can to take a real nice vacation with the money I’ve saved over the past few years. When it comes to not buying products, you guys are the best!

p.s. - anyone who thinks the .7mp image will look as nice as a photo taken at a much higher resolution and then down-sampled in Photoshop needs to learn something about digital photography.

Posted by PhotoGuy on September 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM (CDT)

@Mike11 (#92):

Yes, in my case the camera was the *only* reason I wanted the 4g, and it was enough for me to pay for the 32 gig version. I am more than happy with my Android phone (I laugh every time my boyfriend says ‘I can’t do that on my iPhone’), but I absolutely adore 1 iOS photo app (Hipstamatic), enough to drop $300 on a device to use it.

Instead I’ll just wait a month and take my boyfriend’s old phone when he grabs an iPhone 4, after they upgrade the laughable hardware defects.

Posted by Nox on September 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

Oh my god people! SHUT UP!!! It’s just a camera! You people are just a bunch of pesamistic freaks! It’s not like you’re going to replace a camera with an iPod or even an iPhone… Apple doesn’t make these products to be better than anything and everything ever made… You may think they do but they don’t. Like others have said at least the thing has a camera!!! Come on just take pictures and HD video on the thing and be happy! It’s a whole lot faster and has a Retina display and so many other features, so what about the camera. You people are all stupid, if you want a camera buy one… Don’t rely on iPods and iPhones with cameras that could never look as good as real ones.

Posted by Kevin on September 9, 2010 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

I do agree that the camera is quite disappointing. I was hoping for at least a 2.0mp camera like the original iPhone. The thing that is even more of a set back, is that apple reduced the memory back to 256mb. In my opinion, apple is making the ipod touch into a complete wannabe iPhone, but they’re making it so low-end, that you end up buying a iphone 4 instead. Thats their marketing scheme!

Posted by Daniel on September 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

While the commenters who seem to think that disappointment in the camera is “pessimistic” or “spoiled,” the disappointment is coming not from the fact that the camera isn’t a 15 megapixel masterpiece, but that this 0.7 megapoopsel bullshit seems like they are trying to either force people into buying an iphone (on AT&Ts; horrible, overpriced network) or force people into upgrading their touch again next year. Apple could have put in a camera that was at least passable and not the grainy garbage that they’ve decided to go with. We’re disappointed that Apple is trying to squeeze money out of us instead of adding that little extra bit of hardware that would have made a HUGE difference in how exciting and useful this product could have been.

I waited a long time for this upgrade and instead of rushing out to get one like I’d planned I’m forced now to sit and think if it’s worth $300+. I’m gonna head to the Apple store to test drive one but C’MON Apple, you couldn’t have even put in something a LITTLE nicer?????

Posted by Art on September 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM (CDT)

0,7mpixels photo camera…

“Welcome back to 1997…
Posted by Bob Levens in UK”

I like it !!!

—-

I will cancel my order !

Jerome

Posted by Jerome on September 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

lame. no need to upgrade then… Hi, my name is Steve Jobs… I’m going to design killer stuff with an Achilles heel so OBVIOUS that no one will buy it. lame lame lame weak double weak and once again… lame

Posted by spitty on September 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

I own a iPod Touch 1G and I did not want to upgrade unless there was a camera in it.

I expected a bigger resolution for sure and I was disappointed.

I do not think the reason is the space available in the device.  I am pretty sure it is for giving people a reason to change their 4G to 5G next year.

It would be a waste of money to upgrade unless the resolution is higher as this is the primary reason why I would be upgrading.  I’ll be waiting for iPod Touch 5G in September 2011.

Posted by Christian on September 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM (CDT)

All of you stop complaining! i mean seriously its got a bad camera, so what the photos still look good on the ipod screen and are really good for profile pics. Besides there are a bizzilion other awesome features
DON’T DISS APPLE!!!!!

Posted by ninjared on October 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

Good lord, when will people realise that taking good pictures is much less about the number of megapixels at your disposal and more about whether or not you have a good imagination.

Personally I still think if you want great quality pictures, no resonably priced digital camera can compete with film, granted they’re not that far off and they’re much more convenient but if pure quality is your thing, film still wins.

Back to the point, I’d rather see an interesting picture taken on a 0.7mmp camera than another dull picture taken on a 5mmp camera.

And if you’re that fussed on great quality pictures, use an actual camera, you know, one designed specifically for the job of taking pictures (although once again the outcomes depend more on the user than the equipment)

Posted by Peter on October 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM (CDT)

GUYS. This is apple. No way no how is it 0.7 Megapixels. No way. No how.

Posted by Noa Husak on October 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM (CDT)

So I bought the new touch and I love it. I do agree that apple could of thought about the people buying it a little more instead of just money. But I bought a app for the touch called camzoom and it allows you to take a photo in 1280 by 960 resolution. I think that they need to slow the front facing camera to be used by other apps like skype and such instead of just FaceTime.

Posted by Ben Howell on October 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

I have the Ipod Touch 4 and the camera is not that bad. When I use fring to video chat with my sister who has the EVO 4G my picture comes in clearer.

Posted by Tiffany on October 20, 2010 at 7:32 PM (CDT)

It’s just the fact that considering they decided to add a camera on at all- why such a shitty one? What’s the point? Might as well have not released the camera this year, and introduced a 2 megapixel camera ipod touch the next year… or something. It’s like ooh, look a camera. *takes picture* ._. it’s disappointing! And clearly most people aren’t buying the ipod touch for the camera.. but the idea of a camera + ipod is brilliant… but that brilliant idea wilts once you learn the lens isn’t even 1 MEGAPIXEL. :/ I don’t know…

Posted by anonymouse on October 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM (CDT)

SHHH!!! Wait…. you hear that sound?
I heard it…..
That’s the sound of 300 dollars being yanked from apples money grubbing paws and being placed in the hands of kodak for a WATERPROOF 1080P VIDEO/5MP STILL SHOT ZX3.
Hop on board if you are looking for a good ruggedized inexpensive camera.
Full HD underwater to 10 feet for under 300 WITH 8gig SD card? The friggin HD cable was INCLUDED IN THE BOX.
The readout software resides ON CAMERA so no more lost CD or need for an internet connection to download extra superfluous bloated media management software.
Don’t get me wrong I own a 32GB 3rd gen and it works well.
What would be nice is 7MP front and back with the option for lowlight/IR mode with an IR LED attachment. Dont forget that waterproof would be nice. it’s not THAT hard to make these days.
But that’s just what quite a few people would say if they were putting their wishes in one hand and defecating in the other.
We will all be old and grey before apple even considers the wishes we have for the ipod touch at this very moment, that is to say if they haven’t moved onto some other “next big device” by then.

Posted by sean on October 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

alright. all this hype of the .7 mp camera. i have the 8gb and sure you loose 2gb or memory for the os and the camera, but look at the quality videos on youtube. i take videos and pictures daily and my friends on facebook cant get enough of how good the quality is. THE QUALITY IS BETTER THAN MY 2008 DIGITAL CAMERA!! like damn people comeon

Posted by bad0man0 on October 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM (CDT)

Please

This device is a mp3 player, stop fu… compare with a camera

In this case im going to say that my psp is much better with games and bla bla…

is just a fuc… mp3 player and do some nice stuff too like take crappy pictures

Posted by Bryan on November 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

The reason they put a 0.7mp camera in there is because that is all that would fit. Have you seen the size of the iPhone 4’s 5MP sensor… ITS HUGE (thick) The only way to get a decent camera in there is to make it thicker, Which apple is not going to do after coming this far in getting it as thin as possible.  They aren’t being “stingy” but they did the best they could.

Posted by Aidan on November 6, 2010 at 5:35 AM (CDT)

@Dustin: I don’t really care that much.  I can just sell my old one/buy a new one if they come out with the 5 megapixel camera on the iPhone.  Anything is an improvement over my 1st generation iPod Touch.

Right on man! I don’t care if its only got 0.7 mp camera, its till WAAAy better than my old 1st gen. In fact, its perfectly fine. Just rite for viewing on the retina display. Thats what the retina display is for: to view images and stuff like that clearly. What do u think ur meant to do? Buy a MEDIA PLAYER and expect it to take award winning photos?
Jeezus, get ur priorities straight people!

Posted by OverRatedChild on November 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM (CST)

my camera isnt working when i click the camera app, but when i go on vid chat it works.

Posted by jojo lee on January 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM (CST)

Wow this totally changes my perspective on the iPod touch. I was really tempted to get it but good thing I looked up photo quality first. iPhone all the way… Except I have to wait till my current cellphone contract ends

Posted by CJx3Pooh on January 10, 2011 at 2:51 PM (CST)

I have jut bot a ipot touch 4gen for my girlfriend for Christmas and i just want to say, the camera is a BIG -...i thought the quality may be better because of the ‘HD’ able to do videos but it’s just a big scam!! my opinion, don’t upgrade, just wait for the 5gen, i hear it will have the 5 megapixel camera on it :)

Regards, CroX

Posted by CroX on January 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM (CST)

i have the new iPod touch 32GB, and the camera on that is just as good as my 12MP digital camera, you’re better off with this then a digital camera, it’s one less thing to carry, and it’s bloodey brilliant ! :) and It’s just as good as my iPhone 4, i didn’t personally buy the iPod it was a present from someone for christmas, but i am greatful, it’s amazing :)

Posted by Sketts on January 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM (CST)

Actually the new iPod 4 has a beast camera and the wifi connectivity is better than most systems or computers I’m actually typing this post on my ipod4 :)

Posted by Ipod4rox on January 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM (CST)

I just got the ipod touch 4g and looked all over for the resolution. All they tell you is “720p HD VIDEOS!!!” STFU APPLE!! Give us EXACT numbers….

Posted by Josh on February 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM (CST)

what the hell are you all complaining about??what is the main use of an iPod? to listen to music.
the games are very good with graphics so good you can just imagine how they put it in such a small device. Not to mention the new iTouch is thinner with better features.so stop cribbing and just buy the amazing device.
if you bought each of those things separately like a camera,portable console it would cost like 3 times the price.
It has a camera be happy.It has deviated from its functions so much people are criticizing its minor uses.
it astounds me how dumb people can be! its a 0.7 mp camera but on that screen do you need any more??
so just suck it up and buy the greatest ipod yet

Posted by Ram on March 5, 2011 at 6:44 AM (CST)

For the love of god people!  If you can do a web chat then apple achieved its goal!  The rear camera is designed SOLEY for video chat.  it was expensive enough, if it had a gps chip and a camera and everything else you want i’d never be able to afford the damn thing!

Posted by concordamtmind on March 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM (CDT)

I am looking to get my 7 yr old an ipod touch but not crazy enough to buy a new one.  She will just use it for music and maybe games. I will not buy her inernet service on it.  She DOES love to take pictures…I was wondering which ipod touches have a camera for taking pictures???

Posted by Luz Helena Wayman on March 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

What makes me mad is the fact that they have “actual video from Ipod” on the page…HAHA yeah right, how the hell they got that is beyond be but I am SURE that it was not from the Ipod.  I spent 350 on the dang thing because of the camera. And they dont even disclose the megapixals anywhere on their site. And if its there I cannot find it.
Every time I see the Iphone I want to hurl my Ipod at the tv, the only reason I dont is because unlike the ipod touch, my tv has a great picture…

Posted by Jessica on April 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

I’ve had the New 8GB I-Touch 4TH gen for about 8 months now and I haven’t put it down since literally everywhere I go I have to have it on me!!!! The rear-facing camera records video in HD (720p)!!, up to 30fps, capturing audio through the rear panel mic.  can’t forget about FaceTIme!! on the front camera which is pretty cool I musst say even in \VGA quality>  All around Very userFriendly, great softwear, Intricate Screen, and TOP Notch Music player!!! Its an Amazing Device 2 Thumbs up I give It a 9.7 out of 10 only because of the camera which really is Just A Minescule Flaw compared to the resst of teh Device!!!!!!*

Posted by WhizzedOutPro98 on April 22, 2011 at 7:11 AM (CDT)

i really don’t mind the camera restrictions as long as it records in hd… i got my 3rd gen insured for three years so i’ll prob get the 4th gen for about 13 euros since i woke up this morning with a broken screen :)

Posted by Ryan on April 29, 2011 at 6:28 AM (CDT)

The iPod 4 Touch is a childs play thing and nothing more. It can play music and video (as other iPods have done for 10 years). Apple is nothing more that a marketing company for over priced average electronics. I bought one to keep my 7 year old entertained.

Posted by Toy on July 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM (CDT)

I think the iPod touch is worth the money. The camera isn’t that bad. It’s actually kind of good. Sure it doesn’t have flash or a high megapixel camera but in the right light it’s good quality.

Posted by Ben on August 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

Ok people, let’s get this strait. The reason Apple put a camera on it is for video, not pictures, obviously. The video is actually very good, especially since its HD and it even has a camera in the first place. I was surprised by the video quality when I got mine, and pictures were better than my 2 megapixel camera with auto focus on my old LG vu. Plus you get facetime too, and the front camera isnt all that bad either. Really, you shouldn’t be turned off by the megapixel when you have never even tried it before. And it has a retina display and texting and lots of other features, and you have the option to download iMovie. The camera isn’t the whole iPod.

Posted by bulldog521 on October 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

Hey I hav an idea! Well since everyone is complaining about the crappy picture quality but saying the video quality is pretty good, then why not just take a video of the object u want to take a picture of, play it back then pause it, then press the home button & sleep/wake button at almost the same time, which takes a picture on the screen! Maybe it’ll work.. Also be happy we even have apple at all I mean they are the ones who invented the touch screen phone and the iPad and all that stuff! Don’t worry they will upgrade it sometime..I’m kinda disappointed too about the camera just tryin to stay positive tho :) hopefully they’ll upgrade soon I really wanted 1 for Christmas! Besides the camera, the iTouch is great!

Posted by zozo's bowz on November 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM (CST)

@Toy - good statement and I’m sure apple’d touch is not more than a child’s toy. Thanks Apple for saving my money!

Posted by Ronk de oui on November 25, 2011 at 9:02 AM (CST)

Me and my sister got an mp3 with cameras but mines an iPod touch of couse(cause I’m older) hers is a ematic e6 well long story short her camera on her ematic is 5mp but look crappy cause it doesn’t have retina display

Posted by Apple on December 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM (CST)

i dont think thats right because when i play it back on my hdtv the pictures look wwaayy better then the video. i think apple hid a little surprice in the ipod that we didnt know about. mabye the sensor is more like 5 mp the 0.7 mp. jus’ sayin’

Posted by josh on February 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2