Your Thoughts on Albums: Will More Interactive Content Increase Their Appeal, or Not?
Last month, word leaked out that Apple was working on “Cocktail,” a bundle of “interactive liner notes, videos, lyrics, and other interactive content” designed to help increase the appeal of full albums, and possibly justify CD-like album prices. The idea: users today are accustomed to downloading or ripping albums as little more than individual songs, occasionally with PDF-format digital booklets, and lose out on the traditional experience of opening a CD, flipping through all the lyrics and liner notes, and enjoying bonuses the artists want to include; this would restore and enhance that content, apparently in a single wrapper… which would likely be playable only with Apple’s software and/or devices.
Rather than editorializing on the topic, we wanted to pose a question to you: do you care? Would you have any interest in buying full albums if they came loaded with these sorts of extras? Is price more important to you than extras when you consider buying full albums? Or has the concept of an album basically dead to you because of single sales?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0