Your Thoughts on Albums: Will More Interactive Content Increase Their Appeal, or Not?
Last month, word leaked out that Apple was working on “Cocktail,” a bundle of “interactive liner notes, videos, lyrics, and other interactive content” designed to help increase the appeal of full albums, and possibly justify CD-like album prices. The idea: users today are accustomed to downloading or ripping albums as little more than individual songs, occasionally with PDF-format digital booklets, and lose out on the traditional experience of opening a CD, flipping through all the lyrics and liner notes, and enjoying bonuses the artists want to include; this would restore and enhance that content, apparently in a single wrapper… which would likely be playable only with Apple’s software and/or devices.
Rather than editorializing on the topic, we wanted to pose a question to you: do you care? Would you have any interest in buying full albums if they came loaded with these sorts of extras? Is price more important to you than extras when you consider buying full albums? Or has the concept of an album basically dead to you because of single sales?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple acquires speech tech startup VocalIQ
- iPhone 6s more water-resistant than previous models
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks privacy to NPR
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?