Show Report: Dropcam
Social Media & Software Editor, iLoungeGoogle+
Published: Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Dropcam has shown off its new iOS Wi-Fi camera. Designed to be a “drop-in” solution—hence the name—the $149 Dropcam can be easily configured to connect to just about any standard home Wi-Fi network and will stream 720p HD video via Dropcam’s own online service. The basic live streaming service is included with the purchase of the camera unit, and the company offers the ability to save “PVR” recorded video for $10/month for 7 days or $30/month for 30 days of saved video recordings. Multiple cameras are supported with a 50% discount on the monthly recording subscription for additional cameras.
The Dropcam unit sells for $149 and can be configured from a Mac or PC, after which you simply connect to the Internet via most home routers for streaming video to an iOS device anywhere.
The free universal iOS Dropcam app provides support for monitoring multiple Dropcam cameras and playing back recorded video streamed from Dropcam’s servers.
The Dropcam app also provides the ability to stream recorded video with a focus on marking motion events within the video, allowing the user to easily locate relevant sections for playback. Recording requires a minimum $10/month subscription for each device which allows the user to store up to 7 days of recorded video.
More CES Show Reports
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0