Show Report: Dropcam
Social Media & Software Editor, iLoungeGoogle+
Published: Monday, January 7, 2013
Dropcam has shown off its new iOS Wi-Fi camera. Designed to be a “drop-in” solution—hence the name—the $149 Dropcam can be easily configured to connect to just about any standard home Wi-Fi network and will stream 720p HD video via Dropcam’s own online service. The basic live streaming service is included with the purchase of the camera unit, and the company offers the ability to save “PVR” recorded video for $10/month for 7 days or $30/month for 30 days of saved video recordings. Multiple cameras are supported with a 50% discount on the monthly recording subscription for additional cameras.
The Dropcam unit sells for $149 and can be configured from a Mac or PC, after which you simply connect to the Internet via most home routers for streaming video to an iOS device anywhere.
The free universal iOS Dropcam app provides support for monitoring multiple Dropcam cameras and playing back recorded video streamed from Dropcam’s servers.
The Dropcam app also provides the ability to stream recorded video with a focus on marking motion events within the video, allowing the user to easily locate relevant sections for playback. Recording requires a minimum $10/month subscription for each device which allows the user to store up to 7 days of recorded video.
More CES Show Reports
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac