Show Report: Dropcam
Social Media & Software Editor, iLoungeGoogle+
Published: Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Dropcam has shown off its new iOS Wi-Fi camera. Designed to be a “drop-in” solution—hence the name—the $149 Dropcam can be easily configured to connect to just about any standard home Wi-Fi network and will stream 720p HD video via Dropcam’s own online service. The basic live streaming service is included with the purchase of the camera unit, and the company offers the ability to save “PVR” recorded video for $10/month for 7 days or $30/month for 30 days of saved video recordings. Multiple cameras are supported with a 50% discount on the monthly recording subscription for additional cameras.
The Dropcam unit sells for $149 and can be configured from a Mac or PC, after which you simply connect to the Internet via most home routers for streaming video to an iOS device anywhere.
The free universal iOS Dropcam app provides support for monitoring multiple Dropcam cameras and playing back recorded video streamed from Dropcam’s servers.
The Dropcam app also provides the ability to stream recorded video with a focus on marking motion events within the video, allowing the user to easily locate relevant sections for playback. Recording requires a minimum $10/month subscription for each device which allows the user to store up to 7 days of recorded video.
More CES Show Reports
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12