Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I want to buy an iPod, but all of my music is in Windows Media Player format (.wma). What should I do??
Published: Tuesday, April 6, 2004
News Category: iPod Windows
There are two options you have to prepare your music for the iPod.
While this solution may perhaps be tedious, it will result in the best audio quality. Re-import your music directly from the audio CDs using AAC or MP3 formats. For simplicity’s sake we recommend iTunes, although you do not *need* to use iTunes to re-import your audio as long as you use AAC or MP3.
For help with importing CDs with iTunes, see our iPod 101 tutorial.
You’ll chose this option if you don’t have the original source CDs, or if you don’t want the hassle of manually re-importing your music one CD at a time. You may, however, see a slight decrease in audio quality as a result of the conversion process. To convert your music directly from WMA to MP3, we recommend the following program:
dBPowerAMP Music Converter - Freeware
There are other software options (paid shareware), but the above program does the job extremely well, and it’s free! dBPowerAMP will allow you to convert WMA directly to AAC (get the .mp4 codec) or MP3.
Here’s a “crash course” to get you started:
1) Download and install dBPowerAMP first.
2) Follow the instructions here to enable .wma capability in dBPowerAMP.
3) Follow the instructions in the QuickStart Guide included in your installation.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store