Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Apple claims a 30GB iPod will hold 7,500 songs or 60GB 15,000 songs - how do they work this out?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod General
Apple quotes the capacities of the current iPod lineup as:-
shuffle - 512MB (120 songs) or 1GB (240 songs)
nano - 1GB (240 songs), 2GB (500 songs) or 4GB (1,000 songs)
5G - 30GB (7,500 songs) or 60GB (15,000 songs)
The number of music files you will be able to fit on a given iPod will depend on three factors. Mostly, it will depend on the average track length of your MP3s and on the bit rate at which they are encoded. To a lesser extent, it will also depend on if your MP3s/AACs are encoded CBR (constant bit rate) or VBR (variable bit rate). Generally speaking, all other things being equal, VBR MP3s will be smaller than CBR MP3s.
The number of MP3s that Apple quotes as fitting on each model iPod are based on the following assumptions: 128 Kbps CBR encoded AACs with an average track length of four minutes each.Updated: 12|04|06
Previous: When listening to my iPod, at the end of some tracks, I am hearing random bits of other tracks! The tracks these “blips” come from are not necessarily the following track in the playlist or album, they seem to be completely random. What is going on?
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Bio Inc.
- EU criticizes Apple for in-app purchases (Update)
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads