Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does it take to recharge the iPod’s battery? How can I tell when it is fully charged? What other battery related tips should I be aware of?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod General
To fully charge the iPod’s battery takes approximately three hours. It takes only one hour to charge it to approximately 80% capacity.
When the iPod’s battery is recharging from the computer’s FireWire port, the four bars in the small battery icon at the upper right corner of the screen flash in sequence. When the iPod is fully charged, the in sequence flashing stops and all four bars stay “lit” (i.e., black). When charging from the AC adapter, the battery icon displayed is much larger. While iPod is charging from the A/C adapter, “Charging” is displayed at the top of the screen above the large battery icon. When the iPod’s battery is fully charged, “Charging” changes to “Charged”, and the large battery icon stops flashing.
To prevent accidental discharge while you are transporting your iPod, it is a good idea to get in the habit of setting the “Hold” switch while you are not using your iPod. This will prevent accidental key presses (e.g., when you iPod is in your pocket, backpack, or briefcase) from turning on your iPod and draining the battery.
If you are running firmware version 1.2, many iPod owners are reporting unexplained battery drainage while their iPod is not is use if the Alarms option is set to “On” or “Silent”. Setting this option to “Off” under the Settings menu on iPod seems to clear this problem up.
Finally, since the iPod is never really totally “off” (in support of its instant on capabilities), Apple recommends that you fully recharge your iPod at least once every three weeks, if you are going to not be using your iPod for long periods. This will prevent iPod’s battery from fully discharging (never a good thing) while it is not being used.
Read AppleCare Knowledge Base document “iPod: How to Get the Most Out of Your Battery” for more information.
Find more information on the iPod battery at the iPod Battery FAQ.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac