Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does it take to recharge the iPod’s battery? How can I tell when it is fully charged? What other battery related tips should I be aware of?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod General
To fully charge the iPod’s battery takes approximately three hours. It takes only one hour to charge it to approximately 80% capacity.
When the iPod’s battery is recharging from the computer’s FireWire port, the four bars in the small battery icon at the upper right corner of the screen flash in sequence. When the iPod is fully charged, the in sequence flashing stops and all four bars stay “lit” (i.e., black). When charging from the AC adapter, the battery icon displayed is much larger. While iPod is charging from the A/C adapter, “Charging” is displayed at the top of the screen above the large battery icon. When the iPod’s battery is fully charged, “Charging” changes to “Charged”, and the large battery icon stops flashing.
To prevent accidental discharge while you are transporting your iPod, it is a good idea to get in the habit of setting the “Hold” switch while you are not using your iPod. This will prevent accidental key presses (e.g., when you iPod is in your pocket, backpack, or briefcase) from turning on your iPod and draining the battery.
If you are running firmware version 1.2, many iPod owners are reporting unexplained battery drainage while their iPod is not is use if the Alarms option is set to “On” or “Silent”. Setting this option to “Off” under the Settings menu on iPod seems to clear this problem up.
Finally, since the iPod is never really totally “off” (in support of its instant on capabilities), Apple recommends that you fully recharge your iPod at least once every three weeks, if you are going to not be using your iPod for long periods. This will prevent iPod’s battery from fully discharging (never a good thing) while it is not being used.
Read AppleCare Knowledge Base document “iPod: How to Get the Most Out of Your Battery” for more information.
Find more information on the iPod battery at the iPod Battery FAQ.
- Samsung denied Apple ban in S. Korea
- Apple TV adds ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, KORTV
- AT&T CEO: Bye, device subsidies, hello financing
- Apple hires radio exec for iTunes Radio
- Apps: 12 Days of Gifts, The Animal Alphabet Singers, Drawing Together + FIFA
- China Labor Watch seeks investigation of Pegatron deaths
- Dec. 20 deadline for CES Best of Show Submissions
- Report: Forstall advising startups, involved in philanthropy
- Lightning developer leaves Apple, redesigns Square Reader
- China Mobile opens iPhone preorders on Dec. 12
- Kanex Foldable iDevice Stand
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- Belkin APEX360 Advanced Protection Case for iPad mini
- STM Grip 2 for iPad Air
- CM4 Slite Card Case for iPhone 5c
- Newer Technology NuGuard KX for iPad Air + iPad mini
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store