Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I listen to a lot of DJ Mix CDs that don’t have gaps between the tracks. It seems like the iPod forces a gap - stopping the music right in the middle. Is Apple ever going to fix this? Is there a solution?
Published: Monday, October 13, 2003
News Category: iPod General
The gaps you are hearing are actually a function of MP3 technology. Some other MP3 players work around this issue by doing cross-fades between songs or compressing the MP3 headers to decrease the gaps to something that is barely distinguishable. However, this is not done on the iPod.
Currently, the only way to prevent this from happening is to record these CDs as one giant MP3 file. iTunes has this option available. MMJB does not, however there are other Windows programs that do. Check out the Software Compendium for a list of good Ripping/Encoding programs.
Update - Sept 14 2006
With the release of iTunes 7, Apple has at long last addressed the issue of gapless playback. When iTunes 7 is first installed it scans your library for tracks which will benefit from gapless playback - it also does the same when you connect an iPod which is compatible with this feature. Gapless playback enables the continuous, uninterrupted playback of certain albums which were meant to be played without the short gaps that iTunes and previous iPods had to place between tracks. Good examples are live concert albums and electronic mixes.
To enable gapless playback for these albums, select the tracks in the album, choose “Get Info” from iTunes’ “File” menu, toggle “Gapless Album” to “Yes,” and click “OK.”
With this tag set properly, the iPod and iTunes will automatically play the tracks without gaps.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac