Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I listen to a lot of DJ Mix CDs that don’t have gaps between the tracks. It seems like the iPod forces a gap - stopping the music right in the middle. Is Apple ever going to fix this? Is there a solution?
Published: Monday, October 13, 2003
News Category: iPod General
The gaps you are hearing are actually a function of MP3 technology. Some other MP3 players work around this issue by doing cross-fades between songs or compressing the MP3 headers to decrease the gaps to something that is barely distinguishable. However, this is not done on the iPod.
Currently, the only way to prevent this from happening is to record these CDs as one giant MP3 file. iTunes has this option available. MMJB does not, however there are other Windows programs that do. Check out the Software Compendium for a list of good Ripping/Encoding programs.
Update - Sept 14 2006
With the release of iTunes 7, Apple has at long last addressed the issue of gapless playback. When iTunes 7 is first installed it scans your library for tracks which will benefit from gapless playback - it also does the same when you connect an iPod which is compatible with this feature. Gapless playback enables the continuous, uninterrupted playback of certain albums which were meant to be played without the short gaps that iTunes and previous iPods had to place between tracks. Good examples are live concert albums and electronic mixes.
To enable gapless playback for these albums, select the tracks in the album, choose “Get Info” from iTunes’ “File” menu, toggle “Gapless Album” to “Yes,” and click “OK.”
With this tag set properly, the iPod and iTunes will automatically play the tracks without gaps.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks