Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If I enable FireWire Disk mode on my iPod, can I just manually copy over MP3s and playlists to my iPod using Mac Finder or Windows Explorer?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod Usage
You certainly can manually copy MP3s (or any other files for that matter) to your iPod once FireWire disk mode has been enabled in iPod Preferences. But, simply copying MP3s to iPod as a hard disk drive will not allow them to be played on iPod. The iPod has a database on it that the iPod’s user interface uses to allow you to browse your MP3s by artist, album, genre, composer, etc. This database contains info from the MP3s’ ID3 tags, and it also contains the location of each MP3 on iPod’s HDD, like a directory. And, these playable MP3s are stored as hidden files in special hidden folders on iPod’s disk.
Programs like iTunes on a Mac and the iPod-enabled version of MusicMatch Jukebox (MMJB), XPlay, or EphPod on a Windows PC update this database when they copy MP3s to the iPod, and they store them in these special hidden folders. Only MP3s with entries in this database can be played on iPod.
Previous: Why is my iPod remote not working?
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Apps: A&E/History 2.0, Ally 3.0, Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 + Pandora 5.3
- Pioneer officially announces aftermarket CarPlay access
- iWatch: LG to supply flexible displays, September release?
- Alleged iPhone 6 front panel, batteries leaked
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- Incipio [Performance] Armband for iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Brookstone Perfect Drink App-Controlled Smart Bartending
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac