Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If I enable FireWire Disk mode on my iPod, can I just manually copy over MP3s and playlists to my iPod using Mac Finder or Windows Explorer?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod Usage
You certainly can manually copy MP3s (or any other files for that matter) to your iPod once FireWire disk mode has been enabled in iPod Preferences. But, simply copying MP3s to iPod as a hard disk drive will not allow them to be played on iPod. The iPod has a database on it that the iPod’s user interface uses to allow you to browse your MP3s by artist, album, genre, composer, etc. This database contains info from the MP3s’ ID3 tags, and it also contains the location of each MP3 on iPod’s HDD, like a directory. And, these playable MP3s are stored as hidden files in special hidden folders on iPod’s disk.
Programs like iTunes on a Mac and the iPod-enabled version of MusicMatch Jukebox (MMJB), XPlay, or EphPod on a Windows PC update this database when they copy MP3s to the iPod, and they store them in these special hidden folders. Only MP3s with entries in this database can be played on iPod.
Previous: Why is my iPod remote not working?
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks