Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If I enable FireWire Disk mode on my iPod, can I just manually copy over MP3s and playlists to my iPod using Mac Finder or Windows Explorer?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod Usage
You certainly can manually copy MP3s (or any other files for that matter) to your iPod once FireWire disk mode has been enabled in iPod Preferences. But, simply copying MP3s to iPod as a hard disk drive will not allow them to be played on iPod. The iPod has a database on it that the iPod’s user interface uses to allow you to browse your MP3s by artist, album, genre, composer, etc. This database contains info from the MP3s’ ID3 tags, and it also contains the location of each MP3 on iPod’s HDD, like a directory. And, these playable MP3s are stored as hidden files in special hidden folders on iPod’s disk.
Programs like iTunes on a Mac and the iPod-enabled version of MusicMatch Jukebox (MMJB), XPlay, or EphPod on a Windows PC update this database when they copy MP3s to the iPod, and they store them in these special hidden folders. Only MP3s with entries in this database can be played on iPod.
Previous: Why is my iPod remote not working?
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, giveaway update
- Apple drops refurbished fourth-gen iPad, mini prices
- Judge: US can show Apple e-book pricing conspiracy
- AT&T’s GoPhone to add LTE/HSPA+ support for iPhone
- Report: iOS 7 ‘black, white, and flat all over’
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- Lynktec TruGlide Pro Precision Stylus
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Costs associated with using FaceTime
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore