Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it possible to use multiple iPods on the same computer?
Contributing Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, December 24, 2003
News Category: iPod Usage
Yes, and you have several options:
1) Both users share the same (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus the same iTunes Library.
For this option, the auto sync feature must be turned off for both participating iPods, but may be the wiser method if both users have similar tastes. To do this in iTunes (Mac or Windows), mount one iPod and click on the iPod Preferences button in the lower right corner of the window, then select either ‘Automatically update selected plyalists only’ or ‘Manually manage songs and playlists.’ This will deselect ‘Automatically update all songs and playlists’ so you can now sync to multiple iPods. Now, you must either manually load each iPod, or automatically sync to only a select number of playlists.
2) Users each have a distinct (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus do not share an iTunes library.
When multiple users on a computer, each with their own iPod, each have their own login account, their iTunes libraries are completely distinct. In this situation, the iPods can automatically sync their entire respective libraries (as is the default setting). However, if both users have similar tastes in music, they may find unnecessary desktop hard drive space being wasted, as each distinct iTunes library will have separate copies of identical songs.
Choose the method that suits your situation best.
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks