Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it possible to use multiple iPods on the same computer?
Contributing Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, December 24, 2003
News Category: iPod Usage
Yes, and you have several options:
1) Both users share the same (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus the same iTunes Library.
For this option, the auto sync feature must be turned off for both participating iPods, but may be the wiser method if both users have similar tastes. To do this in iTunes (Mac or Windows), mount one iPod and click on the iPod Preferences button in the lower right corner of the window, then select either ‘Automatically update selected plyalists only’ or ‘Manually manage songs and playlists.’ This will deselect ‘Automatically update all songs and playlists’ so you can now sync to multiple iPods. Now, you must either manually load each iPod, or automatically sync to only a select number of playlists.
2) Users each have a distinct (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus do not share an iTunes library.
When multiple users on a computer, each with their own iPod, each have their own login account, their iTunes libraries are completely distinct. In this situation, the iPods can automatically sync their entire respective libraries (as is the default setting). However, if both users have similar tastes in music, they may find unnecessary desktop hard drive space being wasted, as each distinct iTunes library will have separate copies of identical songs.
Choose the method that suits your situation best.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts