Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it possible to use multiple iPods on the same computer?
Contributing Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, December 24, 2003
News Category: iPod Usage
Yes, and you have several options:
1) Both users share the same (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus the same iTunes Library.
For this option, the auto sync feature must be turned off for both participating iPods, but may be the wiser method if both users have similar tastes. To do this in iTunes (Mac or Windows), mount one iPod and click on the iPod Preferences button in the lower right corner of the window, then select either ‘Automatically update selected plyalists only’ or ‘Manually manage songs and playlists.’ This will deselect ‘Automatically update all songs and playlists’ so you can now sync to multiple iPods. Now, you must either manually load each iPod, or automatically sync to only a select number of playlists.
2) Users each have a distinct (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus do not share an iTunes library.
When multiple users on a computer, each with their own iPod, each have their own login account, their iTunes libraries are completely distinct. In this situation, the iPods can automatically sync their entire respective libraries (as is the default setting). However, if both users have similar tastes in music, they may find unnecessary desktop hard drive space being wasted, as each distinct iTunes library will have separate copies of identical songs.
Choose the method that suits your situation best.
- iTunes Radio could be standalone app in iOS 8
- Apple drops iPhone return policy to 14 days
- Apps: Duolingo 3.3, Marvel Unlimited 2.0, Smash Hit + Wave Wave
- Apple running large iPhone 5c ad on NY Times site
- Report: iOS 8 Maps to gain public transit directions
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number