Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Should I take my iPod out of a case before (re)charging it?
Published: Friday, October 3, 2003
News Category: iPod General
Yes. Apple recommends that you take the iPod out of any case before (re)charging it. The hard drive won’t spin when charging from the wall or the car, but it still gets hot inside.
- The iPod has no internal cooling fan and no vents, so relies on its stainless steel back to act as both a heat exchanger and a heat sink.
- Any heat exchanger relies on having maximum continuous surface area in contact with the cooling medium (in this case ambient air). The continuous part is important, because it means that cases with ventilation holes still dramatically reduce the heat exchanger’s efficiency. Having the steel back in contact with an insulator (a case or jacket) is a bad idea.
- Then iPod is full of narrow guage, minimum insulation wires and flimsy soldered connections which will become brittle or may fail, if regularly subjected to high temperatures.
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks