Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Should I take my iPod out of a case before (re)charging it?
Published: Friday, October 3, 2003
News Category: iPod General
Yes. Apple recommends that you take the iPod out of any case before (re)charging it. The hard drive won’t spin when charging from the wall or the car, but it still gets hot inside.
- The iPod has no internal cooling fan and no vents, so relies on its stainless steel back to act as both a heat exchanger and a heat sink.
- Any heat exchanger relies on having maximum continuous surface area in contact with the cooling medium (in this case ambient air). The continuous part is important, because it means that cases with ventilation holes still dramatically reduce the heat exchanger’s efficiency. Having the steel back in contact with an insulator (a case or jacket) is a bad idea.
- Then iPod is full of narrow guage, minimum insulation wires and flimsy soldered connections which will become brittle or may fail, if regularly subjected to high temperatures.
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Apps: A&E/History 2.0, Ally 3.0, Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 + Pandora 5.3
- Pioneer officially announces aftermarket CarPlay access
- iWatch: LG to supply flexible displays, September release?
- Alleged iPhone 6 front panel, batteries leaked
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- Incipio [Performance] Armband for iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Brookstone Perfect Drink App-Controlled Smart Bartending
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac