Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are “bitrates”?
Published: Thursday, April 10, 2003
News Category: iPod General
The “bitrate” refers to the level of file compression in an MP3. The larger the bitrate, the less compressed it is.
Despite what you may have read in the papers, MP3s are not exact duplicates of the files on your CDs. Instead, the MP3 is a compressed file, and the type of compression is what computer-using folks term “lossy”, which means that information is “lost” when the MP3 is compressed.
For the most part, MP3s are designed to “lose” sound information you don’t hear anyway - CD Audio replays a large spectrum of sounds, even those human beings can’t hear. So the MP3 codec ditches some of those ultra-high and low frequencies. Bitrates are the deciding factor in just how much information will get ditched. The higher the bitrate, the more sound information is preserved. One of the results of this is what’s called a “data artifact” - if you listen closely to low-bitrate MP3s, you’ll be able to hear slight glitches, especially in the treble frequencies.
Thus, a 320k MP3 has more sound information than a 128k MP3. But, a 320k MP3 is also three times as large in megabytes as a 128k MP3.
Previous: Which bitrate should I choose?
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts