Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the best encoding settings for ripping and encoding MP3s for listening on iPod?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod General
It is very hard if not impossible to tell someone else what the “best” MP3 encoding settings are for them. MP3 encoding is all about striking a balance between what sounds good to your ear and what size MP3 files you are willing to live with. And, to a certain extent, your minimally acceptable bit rate will depend on the type of music you are encoding (i.e., rock, classical, jazz, country, etc.).
Try experimenting by selecting a representative song from your collection - one that has a wide range both from a frequency standpoint (parts w/ a lot of bass, and others with a lot of treble), as well as from a volume & complexity standpoint. Then, using that song, experiment with different settings, naming each MP3 file different names so that you can perform side-by-side listening comparisons on your iPod. Then, pick the one that sounds best to you with the largest file size that you can live with.
Having said that, many people would recommend VBR, especially if you are wanting to rip & encode at lower bit rates (say, less that 256 Kbps). And, some people think MP3s sound better encoded using normal stereo instead of joint stereo.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts