Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the best encoding settings for ripping and encoding MP3s for listening on iPod?
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod General
It is very hard if not impossible to tell someone else what the “best” MP3 encoding settings are for them. MP3 encoding is all about striking a balance between what sounds good to your ear and what size MP3 files you are willing to live with. And, to a certain extent, your minimally acceptable bit rate will depend on the type of music you are encoding (i.e., rock, classical, jazz, country, etc.).
Try experimenting by selecting a representative song from your collection - one that has a wide range both from a frequency standpoint (parts w/ a lot of bass, and others with a lot of treble), as well as from a volume & complexity standpoint. Then, using that song, experiment with different settings, naming each MP3 file different names so that you can perform side-by-side listening comparisons on your iPod. Then, pick the one that sounds best to you with the largest file size that you can live with.
Having said that, many people would recommend VBR, especially if you are wanting to rip & encode at lower bit rates (say, less that 256 Kbps). And, some people think MP3s sound better encoded using normal stereo instead of joint stereo.
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads