Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which bitrate should I choose?
Published: Thursday, April 10, 2003
News Category: iPod General
That is entirely up to you. Since different people hear different ranges of sound and play thier music over different systems, their needs for MP3 sound quality vary greatly.
If you’re a sound quality buff, you’ll want to have MP3s encoded at a high bitrate (the floor for sound buffs is usually 192k, but many prefer 256 or even 320.) One thing to keep in mind is that several users at iPodLounge have reported problems with iPods playing 320k mp3s, a result of the iPod not having enough RAM to play the 320k properly.
If hard drive space is a concern, you may want to make your mp3s smaller - 160 or 128k.
The best way to tell what bitrate you’ll need is to do a test: rip the song in several bitrates and compare them to the original CD track. When you can’t hear a difference between the two, you’ve found your bitrate. Remember to test the mp3s on your iPod, not just on your computer.
Next: What are “bitrates”?
- Apple appoints Beats Music chief to head up iTunes Radio
- Facebook promises monthly iOS app updates
- iLounge Game Spotlight: 80 Days
- Typo iPhone keyboard returns, updated, as Typo 2
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Report: Vivendi SA sold its Beats stake for $404 million
- Apple content delivery network for faster downloads now live in US, Europe
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Tylt Energi 2K Smart Travel Charger
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks