Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which generation of iPod do I have? (Identifying iPod models by generation)
Published: Saturday, December 30, 2006
News Category: iPod General
As of the date of this FAQ (updated 22 Dec 08), Apple has released a total of 17 completely distinct types of iPods, not including color variations and differences in storage capacity.
Full-sized iPods: First (original), Second (Touch Wheel), Third (fully touch sensitive, with 4 separate buttons above the Wheel), Fourth (Black and White), Fourth (Color), and Fifth (with Video), iPod Classic - First (widescreen colour display/two capacities/two colours) and Second (one size/two colours).
iPod touch: First (3 capacities/3.5” display) and Second (rounded back/external volume controls/speaker).
iPod minis (now all discontinued): First (five colors), and Second (four brighter colors).
iPod nanos: First (black or white), and Second (aluminum in six colors), Third (wide screen/5 colours/video playback), and Fourth (9 colours/taller screen/curved profile/accelerometer function).
iPod shuffles: First (white plastic), and Second (aluminum).
There are other, less meaningful distinctions between models as well. Apple’s Identifying iPod Models article lists every distinct model, including capacity differences by release date, and the latest software version for each one.
- Apps: ABC Aquarium, Disney Jr. Appisodes, Pinterest 2.4 + Pocket Informant Pro 3.0
- Report: iOS 7 could see Flickr, Vimeo integration
- Apple CEO Cook testifies on taxes, faces Senate critics
- Google Play Music All Access to get iOS app support?
- Senate subcommittee accuses Apple of tax avoidance
- AT&T: All video chat apps will work over cellular in 2013
- Apple releases testimony before CEO’s Senate appearance
- New Apple offers in India can reduce iPhone price
- Report: Apple testing 1.5” OLED displays for iWatch
- Song skipping terms slowing iRadio negotiations
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- New Trent iCarrier IMP120D Dual USB Power Pack
- BlueFlame 2M Charge and Sync Cable with Lightning Connector
- HMDX Jam Party Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker
- Logitech Harmony Ultimate Universal Remote Control
- MyCharge Freedom 2000 Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Nike Nike+ FuelBand
- OCDesk OCDock for iPhone 5
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox
- Can’t change iTunes Apple ID to iCloud e-mail address