Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which generation of iPod do I have? (Identifying iPod models by generation)
Published: Saturday, December 30, 2006
News Category: iPod General
As of the date of this FAQ (updated 22 Dec 08), Apple has released a total of 17 completely distinct types of iPods, not including color variations and differences in storage capacity.
Full-sized iPods: First (original), Second (Touch Wheel), Third (fully touch sensitive, with 4 separate buttons above the Wheel), Fourth (Black and White), Fourth (Color), and Fifth (with Video), iPod Classic - First (widescreen colour display/two capacities/two colours) and Second (one size/two colours).
iPod touch: First (3 capacities/3.5” display) and Second (rounded back/external volume controls/speaker).
iPod minis (now all discontinued): First (five colors), and Second (four brighter colors).
iPod nanos: First (black or white), and Second (aluminum in six colors), Third (wide screen/5 colours/video playback), and Fourth (9 colours/taller screen/curved profile/accelerometer function).
iPod shuffles: First (white plastic), and Second (aluminum).
There are other, less meaningful distinctions between models as well. Apple’s Identifying iPod Models article lists every distinct model, including capacity differences by release date, and the latest software version for each one.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts