Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which generation of iPod do I have? (Identifying iPod models by generation)
Published: Saturday, December 30, 2006
News Category: iPod General
As of the date of this FAQ (updated 22 Dec 08), Apple has released a total of 17 completely distinct types of iPods, not including color variations and differences in storage capacity.
Full-sized iPods: First (original), Second (Touch Wheel), Third (fully touch sensitive, with 4 separate buttons above the Wheel), Fourth (Black and White), Fourth (Color), and Fifth (with Video), iPod Classic - First (widescreen colour display/two capacities/two colours) and Second (one size/two colours).
iPod touch: First (3 capacities/3.5” display) and Second (rounded back/external volume controls/speaker).
iPod minis (now all discontinued): First (five colors), and Second (four brighter colors).
iPod nanos: First (black or white), and Second (aluminum in six colors), Third (wide screen/5 colours/video playback), and Fourth (9 colours/taller screen/curved profile/accelerometer function).
iPod shuffles: First (white plastic), and Second (aluminum).
There are other, less meaningful distinctions between models as well. Apple’s Identifying iPod Models article lists every distinct model, including capacity differences by release date, and the latest software version for each one.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Suit alleges Apple stores discriminate against visually impaired
- Popular app developer ComiXology reports security breach
- Report: Apple moved $8.9B in profits to tax haven
- Azoi introduces Wello health monitoring iPhone case
- Report: Apple bringing full-screen video ads to iOS
- Report: Apple working to expand Siri functionality for iWatch
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Plantronics Voyager Edge Bluetooth Headset
- Anker TC930 Bluetooth Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iBattz Mojo Battstation Optimus
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone