Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why doesn’t my iPod show the full Hard Drive capacity that I paid for?!
Contributing Editor, iLounge
Published: Sunday, February 16, 2003
News Category: iPod General
Contrary to popular belief, this anomaly is not caused by factory-installed programs, file system overhead, or swap space… it’s about math and marketing.
Hard drives are sold and marketed using decimal gigabytes. That is, a “GB” consists of 1,000,000,000 bytes.
However, computers interpret gigabytes in binary. To a computer, 1 GB = 2^30 bytes, or 1,073,741,824 bytes.
The ratio of “actual” to “marketed” file size is the ratio of these two interpretations, or roughly 0.9313225.
Therefore an X-sized (marketed) drive actually has 0.9313225*X of space usable to a computer.
Ex: (iPod Sizes)
60GB*0.9313225 = 55.88GB
40GB*0.9313225 =37.25 GB
30GB*0.9313225 = 27.94GB
20GB*0.9313225 = 18.6 GB
15GB*0.9313225 = 13.97GB
10GB*0.9313225 = 9.31GB
6GB*0.9313225 = 5.59GB
5GB*0.9313225 = 4.67GB
4GB*0.9313225 = 3.73GB
1GB*0.9313225 = 0.93GB
512MB*0.9313225 = 476.84MB
(Only the much smaller remaining difference is due to these things… like the 37.25 vs. the 37.1GB value that a 40GB iPod reports.)
- Pioneer working on aftermarket CarPlay solutions
- iTunes Radio could be standalone app in iOS 8
- Apple drops iPhone return policy to 14 days
- Apps: Duolingo 3.3, Marvel Unlimited 2.0, Smash Hit + Wave Wave
- Apple running large iPhone 5c ad on NY Times site
- Report: iOS 8 Maps to gain public transit directions
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Beats Electronics Beats Pill XL Bluetooth Speaker
- Beats Electronics Beats Pill 2.0 Bluetooth Speaker
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number