Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: Airframe Plus
Compatible: All iPhones, iPod touches
Roughly six months after we covered the original Airframe car vent mount, Kenu has released Airframe+ ($30), a tweaked version capable of supporting larger devices. Now capable of expanding to fit devices with up to 6" screen sizes (including both of the rumored iPhone Air/6 models), Airframe + ditches the gray accents of the original model in favor of black, and offsets the car vent mounting point to be closer to the center of a larger device. Kenu suggests that you insert a credit card into its back to use it as a desktop stand. Fully case-compatible and as handsome as before, it sells for a $5 premium.
Not the first company to release a modular case and accessory collection for Apple's tablets, OtterBox is perhaps the most well-known developer to tackle the concept. Its new Agility Tablet System for iPad Air is made up of a number of components, all of which are based around the Shell ($40), a large plastic case. Shell serves as the core for optional accessories, many of which lock into the clip on the back, such as Folio ($50) and Portfolio ($70). The former adds a lid that can be positioned for viewing and typing angles, while the latter does the same, but offers more coverage around the back. Wall Mount ($30) is just what it sounds like, with two pieces of 3M adhesive used to semi-permanently attach it to the wall. A stand and a powered dock are also coming soon.
Compatibility: iPad (2nd/3rd/4th-Gen), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s, iPod touch 4G/5G
Zivix's new PUC ($130) takes a new twist on connecting your iOS and MIDI devices; rather than providing a Lightning interface, it instead acts as a Wi-Fi MIDI bridge, effectively turning your keyboards, DJ controllers and more into Wi-Fi-enabled MIDI devices. The unit can be powered for up to 15 hours of continuous use from two included AA batteries or plugged into a Micro-USB power source. A single standard MIDI DIN port allows for connection of a single MIDI device or hub, and the PUC can be switched to function as either a MIDI input or output interface. A free companion iOS app provides the interface between the PUC Wi-Fi connection and iOS, which should allow compatibility with any CoreMIDI compliant iOS app.
Originally debuting at this year's CES, IK Multimedia's iRig Voice ($40) is basically a redesign of the company's 2011 iRig Mic (iLounge rating: B), adding omnidirectional support and now coming in five iPhone 5c-coordinated colors instead of just basic black. A new companion app, "EZ Voice," is available as a free download. iRig Voice retains the same analog connection as the prior version, including the pass-through headphone port, and is constructed from a similar lightweight, yet durable plastic.
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads