Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: Kitchen Thermometer
Compatible: iPad Air, iPad (3rd/4th-Gen), iPad mini, iPhone 4S/5/5s/5c, iPod touch 5G
Similar in concept to iGrillmini, iDevices' new Kitchen Thermometer ($80) uses Bluetooth 4.0 to communicate food temperatures to compatible iDevices. The base station with this one is much larger with a digital display, and it features the ability to connect two probes at once -- both are included. Push the probes into your food, and the data is sent to iDevices' free companion app, where temperatures can be tracked and alarms can be set. The included AA batteries are slated to last for 200 hours thanks to the low-power wireless standard.
Having previously focused largely on producing keyboard cases, Logitech today introduced a handful of new iPad folios. Among them is Hinge for iPad Air ($60); an iPad mini edition is also available. The outside of the case is a cool gray polyester fabric, lined with purple polyurethane. A polycarbonate plastic shell is attached to the right side, fitted with the standard holes and openings we've come to expect from shells. The left half can lift away, and thanks to a resistance system, a wide range of viewing angles are available.
Having mostly produced keyboard cases in the past, Logitech today introduced a handful of new iPad folios. Among them is Turnaround for iPad Air ($60); an iPad mini edition is also available. Made of a vinyl-like polyurethane material, the lid continues around the case's right edge, where a magnet keeps the case shut. Inside there's a standard iPad shell, attached to the folio with a plastic ring. This allows it to rotate from landscape to portrait orientation, which can be beneficial while typing documents.
Compatible: All iPads, iPhones, iPods
Made of machined aluminum, Ele's eleMount ($80) is a mount option that uses sticky pads to hold any iDevice. Shaped like a barbell standing on one of its edges, the mount tapers in towards the middle, where the two ends meet at a ball joint. Both flat ends are equipped with Ele's sticky polyurethane, which will hold the accessory to your desk, and hold any iPad, iPhone, or iPod as well. Optional caps keep the pads clean when not in use.
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2014 earnings call
- Apple announces 7:1 stock split, increased share buyback, dividends
- Apple Q2 2014: 43.7M iPhones, 16.3M iPads, 2.7M iPods
- Former employee says Apple left iOS users vulnerable
- Siri coming to Apple TV?
- Google covering some Samsung defense costs in Apple case
- Changes introduced to Apple’s app content rating system
- iOS 7.1.1 makes in-app purchases clear in Top Grossing chart
- Apple releases iOS 7.1.1
- Apps: 1Password 4.5, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Health Mate 2.0 + WeMo 1.5.1
- Divoom Voombox Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Pelican ProGear Voyager for iPhone 5/5s
- ZeroChroma Vario-Edge for iPhone 5/5c/5s + Vortex for iPhone 5c
- JBL Synchros S300i Stereo Headphones
- AKG K845BT Over-Ear Bluetooth Headset
- JBL Voyager Home Audio System With Portable Wireless Speaker
- Harman Kardon Esquire Executive Portable Wireless Speaker
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac