Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Not the first company to release a modular case and accessory collection for Apple's tablets, OtterBox is perhaps the most well-known developer to tackle the concept. Its new Agility Tablet System for iPad Air is made up of a number of components, all of which are based around the Shell ($40), a large plastic case. Shell serves as the core for optional accessories, many of which lock into the clip on the back, such as Folio ($50) and Portfolio ($70). The former adds a lid that can be positioned for viewing and typing angles, while the latter does the same, but offers more coverage around the back. Wall Mount ($30) is just what it sounds like, with two pieces of 3M adhesive used to semi-permanently attach it to the wall. A stand and a powered dock are also coming soon.
Compatibility: iPad (2nd/3rd/4th-Gen), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s, iPod touch 4G/5G
Zivix's new PUC ($130) takes a new twist on connecting your iOS and MIDI devices; rather than providing a Lightning interface, it instead acts as a Wi-Fi MIDI bridge, effectively turning your keyboards, DJ controllers and more into Wi-Fi-enabled MIDI devices. The unit can be powered for up to 15 hours of continuous use from two included AA batteries or plugged into a Micro-USB power source. A single standard MIDI DIN port allows for connection of a single MIDI device or hub, and the PUC can be switched to function as either a MIDI input or output interface. A free companion iOS app provides the interface between the PUC Wi-Fi connection and iOS, which should allow compatibility with any CoreMIDI compliant iOS app.
Originally debuting at this year's CES, IK Multimedia's iRig Voice ($40) is basically a redesign of the company's 2011 iRig Mic (iLounge rating: B), adding omnidirectional support and now coming in five iPhone 5c-coordinated colors instead of just basic black. A new companion app, "EZ Voice," is available as a free download. iRig Voice retains the same analog connection as the prior version, including the pass-through headphone port, and is constructed from a similar lightweight, yet durable plastic.
Model: Pulse O2
Compatability: All iPads, iPhones, iPod touches (iOS 5.0+)
Billed as Withing's new product, and the sequel to last summer's Pulse Activity Tracker, Pulse O2 ($120) is actually a simple update with some new software. The sensor itself is exactly the same as before, but it ships with updated firmware that can detect blood oxygen levels, which is especially important for mountain climbers, those training in high altitudes, and people with breathing problems. This firmware is available for existing Pulses. There's also a silicone band included in the package now, so the device can be worn as a watch.
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Bio Inc.
- EU criticizes Apple for in-app purchases (Update)
- Sue Wagner joins Apple board of directors as Bill Campbell retires
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads