Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Tech21's Classic Shell ($35) for iPhone 6 looks to be a fairly typical TPU case with coverage for the sleep/wake button and volume controls. However, Tech21 boasts "impactology," stating that its "D30 impact material" absorbs and dissipates shock away from the phone when dropped. For what it's worth, the device does have slightly thicker side coverage than many similar cases. The Classic Shell we received is gray and translucent, with a slightly reddish-orange frame.
Three new cases from SwitchEasy represent a fairly wide array of different protective options for the iPhone 6. First up is 0.35 ($15), a 0.35mm thick layer of soft plastic sold in five colors. It just barely qualifies as a case thanks to the top, side, and back coverage, providing anti-scratch coverage but probably no help in the event of a drop; the bottom and screen are left entirely open. Next is LifePocket ($40), a wallet case with a nylon exterior, compartments for five cards and five bills, and a non-removable rubber iPhone 6 case glued to the back. An elastic strap holds the case closed; three color combinations are available. Last is Numbers ($20), a resized sequel to the company's basic TPU case, available in six colors. Offering protection for the majority of the iPhone 6, it has integrated port protectors but notably does not include a screen protector this time -- none of these cases do.
Currently available in five color schemes and also referred to as "iPhone 6 Case - Mountable," Rokform's new Sport v3 for iPhone 6 ($39) is a hard plastic and rubber case with some unique features. The case feels really solid and is pitched as shock-absorbant, with full button protection and all the expected holes. Each case ships with two replaceable back panels -- one with an removable magnet pre-inserted, the other with a hole for attachment to Rokform's traditional wall mounting system, plus a recess to optionally hold the magnet. If you want to use magnets for mounting, a 3M adhesive-backed dot magnet mounting point and one wet cleaning wipe are included for attachment to your choice of surfaces. That said, Rokform's instructions note that the "magnet will disable NFC on phone," hence your ability to remove it from each of the mounts if you don't want it near your phone. A wrist strap is also included in the package.
In addition to number of other cases, X-Doria has sent along a few folio-style iPhone cases, including the first case we've seen for iPhone 6 Plus. Engage Folio ($30) for iPhone 6 has a hard, clear plastic back and a faux leather front cover. A card slot is included on the back of the cover. Dash Folio One ($30) for iPhone 6 Plus is similar to Engage Folio, with a few more features — the case uses the front cover as a kickstand, and a magnetic clasp keeps the cover from flapping around. The faux leather wraps around the case like a book, with a hard plastic compartment for the larger phone.
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More