Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
We first saw Orbotix's Ollie ($100) by Sphero at CES 2014 and were immediately impressed. Unlike Sphero (review) and Sphero 2.0 (review), Ollie isn't a robotic ball — it's a quick little app-controlled robot with two wheels. Although it's not waterproof like the prior Sphero balls, Ollie can reportedly move at speeds up to 14 mph, and Orbotix claims it can run for one hour of play on a full three-hour USB charge. The customizable Ollie connects to an iOS device using Bluetooth LE for a range of 30 meters (98 feet). We'll be putting Ollie through its paces; check back later for our full review.
Company: Western Digital
Model: My Passport Wireless
Compatible: All iPads, iPhones + iPod touches
Western Digital's My Passport portable hard drives have all been appealingly small and ready to take pretty much anywhere -- except that they've depended on a computer for connectivity and power. Made entirely from plastic, My Passport Wireless ($180-$220) preserves the same compact design but is capable of fully wireless operation. A six-hour rechargeable battery and 802.11n MIMO Wi-Fi enable the 1TB or 2TB hard disk to stream media content to up to eight devices, using the company's My Cloud iOS app to browse content. One USB 3.0 cable and a wall adapter are included for times when you're able to connect to a data and/or power source. The neat twist here is an integrated SD card slot, which can be used to instantly share content over the same Wi-Fi connection; you can also use My Passport Wireless as a Wi-Fi hub, or get it to join your existing wireless network. We'll have a full review of My Passport Wireless soon.
Compatible: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
Released alongside the new iPhones, Apple's iPhone 6 Silicone Case ($35) and iPhone 6 Plus Silicone Case ($39) are slightly less expensive versions of its Leather Cases, available in a wider and generally brighter array of six colors, but otherwise featuring the exact same design. Each case is a wraparound shell with full top and right side coverage, substantial back and left side coverage, then a completely open bottom and front. On the outside is a thin layer of silicone rubber, while the inside has an embossed microfiber lining; the rear camera is ringed by a thin layer of black plastic in each version. Button protection is included, but the bottom of each iPhone 6/6 Plus is left fully open, a boon for accessory connection but less than ideal for protection of the bottom speaker, microphone, and accessory ports.
Compatible: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
A few more iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cases are showing up before the devices have even been released. Incipio's DualPro Shine ($35) for iPhone 6 is a dual-layer rubber and plastic case with an aluminum finish on the back of the plastic shell. Edge ($30), also for iPhone 6, is a hard plastic shell slider case with a matte finish. Though it's a slider, Edge still retains the same standard port openings at the bottom of the case as seen in the DualPro Shine. NGP ($20) is a soft shell, flexible plastic case for iPhone 6 Plus. It comes in a number of colors, all translucent.
- Apple quietly pulls back on 2014 CarPlay availability
- iPhone 6 Plus users reporting bending iPhones
- FXNOW channel comes to Apple TV
- Apple airs two new iPhone 6 ads
- Apple to reportedly shutter Beats Music? (Update: No)
- Report: iOS 8 adoption rate estimated at 30%
- Apple Watch to come in 4GB, 8GB versions?
- Apple hits 10 million iPhone 6, 6 Plus sales in first weekend
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- Belkin WeMo LED Lighting Starter Set
- Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels