Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
This new series of Designer Muffs feature artwork from Australian designers, and are billed as limited editions by manufacturer Muff. Handmade from polyester with a polar fleece interior and foam padding, the cases are cut from a large canvas and are somewhat different from case to case - Ghosties (shown), Skulls, and Satisfied are currently available, with Kanga-Kamo coming soon. Muff's randy packaging - inappropriate for younger audiences in some countries - is some of the most interesting we've yet seen for an iPod accessory.
Model: CEO Folio for iPod video
Compatible: iPod 5G
Marware's newest leather case brings yet another novel twist to the iPod wallet theme: it includes its own pad of paper and a pen. To be officially announced on April 27, CEO Folio is a fine-grain leather, wallet-like case that holds your 5G iPod snugly inside, along with a card storage pocket and writing tools. Five colors will be available (black, pink, blue, red, and olive).
This new combination of RF radio transmitter and receiver can be connected to any Macintosh computer with Front Row - G5 or Intel - and enables you to control Front Row's features from promised 60+ foot distances, or through walls. The remote also features buttons not found on Apple's official remotes, namely a mute button, eject button, and sleep button, plus a pairing switch on the back and a power switch to conserve the remote's battery.
This new sticker set for the iPod nano includes artwork coverage for the majority of the iPod’s front and back - minus rings around the Click Wheel - and a clear separate screen protector. Thirty different patterns are available, including the sample shown here (“Kandinsky VII,” like the famed artist), with more to come in the near future. The skins are more resilient than many we’ve seen, but also a little more difficult to precisely align.
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- Report: Apple developing Siri home speaker to rival Amazon’s Echo; will release Siri SDK at WWDC
- iOS Spotlight search now offers relevant results for some emoji
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)