Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
List Price: $14.95
This new sticker set for the fifth-generation iPod includes artwork coverage for the majority of the iPod’s front and back - minus rings around the Click Wheel - and a clear separate screen protector. Thirty different patterns are available, including the sample shown here (“Sudoku”), with more to come in the near future. The skins are more resilient than many we’ve seen, but also a little more difficult to precisely align.
Company: H2O Audio
Model: Swimbelt for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
As the third piece in H2O Audio's new waterproof accessory line for the iPod nano, the company's new Swimbelt ($40) is designed to let surfers, wakeboarders, swimmers and kitesurfers wear their encased nanos at waist level. Made mostly from soft neoprene and clear plastic, the belt is designed for waist sizes between 22 and 42 inches, and provides access to the nano's screen, controls, and headphone port while holding them firmly against your body. To use the Swimbelt, you'll need H2O's Waterproof Housing and Waterproof Headphones, each sold separately.
Compatible: PC Only, iPod 5G
These two new pieces of Windows PC software are designed to quickly convert movies into iPod-compatible files. DVD Copy 4 - here in the Platinum H.264 Edition ($80) - promises to convert DVDs and other movies into iPod format in three steps. It can also create DivX files, and copy DVDs. You insert a disc and select it in the program, choose an output type (DVD, VCD/SVCD or video file) and format (iPod), then press the burn button. iVideoToGo for iPod ($30) is streamlined for iPod conversion, taking DVDs or video files in numerous formats (AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV, MP4, DivX, ASF, DVR-MS, 3GP) and converting them into MPEG-4 or H.264 format with ease. Free trials of both programs are available through InterVideo's web site. Updated: Neither program is capable of reading or transferring copy-protected DVDs (read: anything sold in a store) to your iPod, a fact you'll discover on your first attempt to run either of them. You'll need an additional program - not provided by InterVideo and of varied legality depending on your country - to do that.
Model: iPod Software
This new collection of six different software titles from Avanquest Publishing includes some of the most popular potential tools we could imagine, ranging in price from $30 to $50. Other than the company's iPocketBible and PodPresenter, all of the programs are for Windows PC users only, and attempt to simplify various iPod content creation and management tasks for novice and intermediate users. The programs are sold in boxed or downloadable formats through the company's web site.
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!