Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: TuffWrap Accent
Compatible: iPod nano, 5G
These two updates to XtremeMac's earlier TuffWrap cases use double-injected rubber mold techniques to offer three different 5G iPod color combinations ($30) and six different iPod nano combinations ($20). The 5G versions are sold in two (30GB and 60GB) sizes. Each one comes with a clear hard plastic screen protector and a soft plastic Click Wheel protector, both of which are separate from the case.
Available in four colors, MicroFolio opens like a book to reveal your fifth-generation iPod and two small card- and cash-sized pockets inside. Like a man's wallet, there's no latch to keep the case closed.
This four-piece collection of connector accessories includes all-new, XtremeMac-themed cosmetic improvements: there's a "home theater" cable with composite stereo audio and video outputs and a minijack audio output, a "home stereo" cable with composite stereo outputs, and a minijack-to-minijack auxiliary audio cable, all with the same black and gray theme. XtremeMac also includes a new black and white audio splitter.
Model: mTune for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano, other iPods*
Following up on the company's earlier mTune for iPod shuffle, these two iPod nano-specific versions of the original mTune headset enable you to mount your iPod literally inside one of its earcup shells, and enjoy your music without any cables attached. No batteries are included or needed; it runs, like other headphones, off of the iPod's power. Though the nano is more conspicuous than was the shuffle when connected to mTune, and not necessarily as well-suited to being placed on the side of your head, its added weight is trivial. An audio cable is included if you want to use the headset with any other iPod or device. The mTune-N is designed for the first-generation iPod nano; mTune-N2 is designed for the second-generation, aluminum-bodied nano.
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads