Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Matrix Productions
Price: $13/1, $24/3
Compatible: iPod 5G, nano
Other than their distinctive artwork, these new "protective skin wraps" for the iPod 5G and nano are unique in that they actually include separate clear screen protectors; they cover most of each iPod's face, back and sides, including the Click Wheel. Non-adhesive, the WraptorSkinz are touted as re-usable, and can be applied with an included hard plastic "squeegee" that helps you to remove air bubbles. They're sold individually for $13, or in 3-packs for $24.
Available in black, brown, orange, and red, this simple leather case design resembles Vaja's iVod 5G cases, but lacks padding and screen or Click Wheel protection. In addition to being custom-fit to the 30GB or 60GB iPods rather than one-size-fits-all, versions with ($53) and without a non-detachable belt clip nub ($50) are available; the included black plastic belt clip uses a locking system to prevent accidental detachment.
Model: iPod Outfit for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
This reinforced vinyl case design for the iPod nano provides nearly complete protection, and is available in six different color and trim combinations, which the company claims are cut from huge patterns to ensure no two cases are precisely the same. Magpie's placed its non-detachable rear belt clip upside down for easier nano viewing, and included a removable keychain for attachment to your clothes, purse, or keys. A super-small Hold switch hole is the only oddity.
Company: Battery Technology Incorporated
Model: i-Zleeve for iPod Video
Price: Approx. $20
Compatible: iPod 5G
This package of two jelly-like rubber sleeves (one each for 30GB and 60GB iPods) comes with a special two-position belt clip. In its standard position, you can attach it (surprise) to your belt, but in its reversed position, you can flip open its bottom to mount your 5G iPod on a table. The components can also be attached to BTI's iPod Battery ii (not included) to provide hours of continuous video playback without the need for you to hand-hold the 5G iPod.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?