Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
In time for the World Cup, Uniq Creation has released a huge new collection of cases based on the flags of participating countries. Sportif is available for iPad Air ($50), iPad mini ($45), and iPhone 5/5s ($27). The tablet cases are pretty standard folios with hard plastic shells. Their covers are one color, with two strips running down the right edge. As for the iPhone case, it's reminiscent of Spigen SGP's Slim Armor. The core is rubber, with a plastic plate that fits onto the back and wraps around the sides. That shield can be removed to insert a credit card for tap and go payments.
Although it appears to borrow heavily from other OEM-designed iPad cases we've seen over the years, Kujali's Classic for iPad mini (£30/~$50) is noteworthy for the company's charity aspect; we won't offer a full review, but want to mention the option. A "leather styled" folio -- it seems to be faux leather -- the case is lined with suede on the inside, and has an elastic handle on the interior of the front cover, along with two viewing angle ridges. The tablet is held in a two-piece shell on the right side. It first gets fitted into a thin rubber skin, which then goes into the hard plastic piece that's attached to the case. Button coverage is provided, as are flaps over the ports. For every case Kujali sells, it donates a mosquito net to charity, with the intention of protecting African children from malaria.
Compatible: iPad Air, iPad mini
Following a version for iPhone 5/5s, PureGear has released its PureTek Roll-On Screen Shield Kit for iPad Air and iPad mini ($20-$25). Available in antiglare and anti-fingerprint finishes for both sizes, the film is most notable for its included installation tray. Instead of having to try to line up a sheet of film, you simply insert the tablet into the plastic tray, pull the film over the screen, and used the included roller to work out the bubbles. It doesn't extend quite as far to the edges as most films do, but we found the process easy. A cleaning cloth is included.
The most recent addition to Olloclip's lineup of add-on camera lenses for iOS devices is the 3-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 5c ($60). Offered in five different colors designed to match the hues of the plastic-bodied handset, it offers the same three lens options as the original iPhone 5/5s edition: wide-angle, fisheye, and 10x macro. The wide-angle twists off to reveal the macro lens. Also included in the kit are two lens covers and a drawstring carrying bag.
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Apple creates Chief Design Officer role for Jony Ive
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?