Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Billed as a "premium iPhone wallet case," Moshi's Overture for iPhone 5/5s ($45) combines a fabric or faux leather cover with a shell-style case, three card slots, and, most uniquely, an integrated cleaning cloth. As with many wallet cases, the iPhone simply snaps onto a frame attached to the inside of the rear cover. A neat screen cleaner helps to set Overture apart: the small square of microfiber adheres to a corresponding patch underneath the credit card slots when not in use.
Compatible: iPad mini, iPhone 5/5s/5c
We've seen Moshi's iVisor XT for other iDevices before, but here are the versions for iPad mini ($30) and iPhone 5/5s/5c ($25). Both are available with a black or white border, made to match the bezel of your tablet or phone. The film, which is washable and can be reapplied, adheres around the edges, with a clear window over the screen itself. Look closely, however, and you'll see a grid of dots over the screen.
Compatible: iPhone 5/5s, iPod touch 5G
TuneBase Hands-Free Aux for iPhone 5 ($70) from Belkin is made for a somewhat specific group of people. It's a bundle of connected parts that charge an iPhone 5/5s or fifth-generation iPod touch -- the iPhone 5c fits too, although official support isn't listed -- in the car, while connecting to an auxiliary input port for audio. A gooseneck runs between the charging plug at one end, and Lightning plug-equipped phone cradle at the other. Once the phone has been docked, a built-in audio cable fits into the bottom of it; a second cable connects to the bottom of the car adapter plug, and runs to the vehicle's aux input port. The cradle is adjustable, and can accept iPhones in cases, but only if there's a totally open bottom edge. TuneBase also supports hands-free calling thanks to a trigger button and a microphone found below the Lightning plug.
Company: Griffin Technology
Compatible: All iPads, iPhones, iPods
Griffin's Woodtones Over-The-Ear Headphones ($100) are part of a family that also includes significantly less expensive earbuds. Available in walnut, sapele, or beech woods, the headphones pack 50mm drivers. Inside the wooden cups are soft pads that fit against the ear, and help isolate outside noises. The audio cable is removable, has matching wood at either plug end, and comes with a remote and mic module built-in.
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More