Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
In addition to number of other cases, X-Doria has sent along a few folio-style iPhone cases, including the first case we've seen for iPhone 6 Plus. Engage Folio ($30) for iPhone 6 has a hard, clear plastic back and a faux leather front cover. A card slot is included on the back of the cover. Dash Folio One ($30) for iPhone 6 Plus is similar to Engage Folio, with a few more features — the case uses the front cover as a kickstand, and a magnetic clasp keeps the cover from flapping around. The faux leather wraps around the case like a book, with a hard plastic compartment for the larger phone.
BlueLounge has introduced Soba ($25), a new cable management system. The total Soba package contains a 10-foot fabric tube, two end caps, three mounting caps, one Y-split cap, five rubber bands, and one zipper tool. Soba can bundle up to three cables in its tubing, and it comes in black or white. The zipper tool is used to easily open the tube and secure the cables — it's not terribly intuitive at first, but there's a guide available on BlueLounge's website. Once you figure it out, your stray cables should be contained quickly and easily. We would recommend Soba for computer desks with small numbers of cables to manage, but not for setups with tons of cables.
Company: Spigen SGP
Compatible: iPhone 6/Air
Another collection of new Spigen cases for the 4.7" iPhone 6 has arrived, again including variations on previously-introduced models for earlier devices. Capsule ($15) is a soft TPU plastic case that wraps around the iPhone 6, covering virtually all of its body save for the screen, bottom ports, and side ringer switch. Ultra Hybrid ($25) combines a clear hard plastic back with an opaque edge in your choice of colors, achieving the same protection with a little more style. Neo Hybrid ($35) combines a soft matte plastic case with a contrast-colored edge bumper and metallic button protectors; a version called Neo Hybrid Metal ($35) replaces the plastic bumper with handsome aluminum. The oddly same-priced Neo Hybrid EX ($35) does away with the full case in favor of a rubber partial frame for the edge bumper. All of these solutions feel markedly thinner than Spigen's Slim Armor and Tough Armor cases, and come in multiple colors.
Spigen has released Slim Armor ($30), Slim Armor S ($30), Tough Armor ($35), and Tough Armor S ($35) for iPhone 6, as well as Slim Armor ($30) and Tough Armor ($35) for iPhone 6 Plus. The iPhone 6 cases are highly similar to one another, as each version includes hard and soft plastic layers that come together to cover most of the new iPhone's body. Slim Armor has soft corner curves versus Tough Armor's more angular edges, as the latter is designed to absorb accidental drop impacts. Spigen's "S" versions have slots for insertion of an included plastic card that serves as a kickstand. Each case comes in a different collection of color options, though the softer plastic is always matte black, with the hard plastic shifting from metallic to high gloss coloring between versions. The iPhone 6 Plus versions of Slim Armor and Tough Armor are obviously physically larger, and have somewhat flimsy plastic kickstands built into their backs. Regrettably, all of these cases have ugly circular cut-outs for the rear Apple logo, and no screen protection.
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Report: iOS 8 anti-tracking features more limited than initially publicized
- Video Review: Apple’s iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Report: Same manager in charge of iOS 8.0.1 and Apple Maps releases
- Apple releases iOS 8.0.2 (Updated)
- Apple says only nine customers have complained about bending iPhones
- Report: Apple was aware of iCloud security hole in March
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Leather and Silicone Cases
- X-Doria Defense 720 / Scene Grip / Scene Plus for iPhone 6
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels