Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: New York Landmark Folio
Compatible: iPod nano, iPod 5G
Exclusive to the new Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City, Incase's customized New York Landmark Folio cases for iPod 5G and nano use the company's familiar Folio protective design - a flip-open, snap-closed holder with an integrated belt clip - and subtle, embossed artwork of arches, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty. Black and white versions were available at the store's opening; Incase expects that the limited run of these cases has already sold out since that event, making them collectible.
Model: Splash Pack Dri Pod
Compatible: iPod 1G-5G (Large), iPod mini, nano, shuffle (Small)
This inexpensive new bag-like waterproof iPod case is sold in two sizes (large/small), each permitting access to an iPod's screen and Click Wheel through a flexible plastic material. The front of Dri Pod is clear, the rear is frosted, and both an adjustable lanyard necklace and headphone port extension plug are integrated into the case. Water is kept out through a system of three "Sure-lock seals" (think Ziploc bags with a Velcro wrap at the top), and Allsop rates Dri Pod as submersible to 9 feet (3 meters), assuming you provide your own waterproof headphones. Sand and dust are also kept away from the iPod while inside, however, the company warns against heat and sunlight damage.
Model: GX4 Pro Digital Music System
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano, 1G/2G*, shuffle*
This smaller SoundDock-alike speaker system from Logiix features an iPod dock and remote control, and uses the familiar stark metal front speaker grille/curved casing and dock styling pioneered by Bose. iPod nano, 5G, and general dock adapters are included in the package, as well as audio input and USB dock synchronization cables.
Company: Sound2Go/Advanced MP3 Players UK
Model: SoundBag with PowerBank
Price: £39 (approx. US$73)
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, nano, mini, 1G/2G*, shuffle*
This blue-colored semi-hard carrying case for iPods zips open to reveal a NXT flat-panel speaker system and battery charger, which connect to most iPods through a Dock Connector port on the case's bottom. SoundBag's internal lithium-ion battery provides power for both the iPod and speakers, running for a promised seven-plus hours with a fully charged iPod, less with a discharged iPod. There are input ports for auxiliary audio-in - if you're using, say, an iPod shuffle or early iPod - and power-in from an Apple wall charger, which the company presently includes in the package, but future buyers may have to supply themselves.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today