Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: AVA Showcase
Model: Element and Smooth E
Compatible: iPod nano
These two plastic case designs are identical in shape, but different in coating. The Smooth E case comes in glazed solid plastic tones, while Elements comes in your choice of chrome or gold metallic. Of the two, Elements has the larger bundle, with a fabric carrying case, black lanyard, magnetic cord manager ("cable grip"), and Click Wheel sticker protector, while Smooth E includes only a Click Wheel sticker protector. Both cases have integrated clear screen protectors and velvet interiors, snapping apart into two pieces. They also have unique mechanical sliding Hold switch covers.
This nothing special leather flip case for fifth-generation iPods is specifically sized to fit either a 60GB iPod or a 30GB iPod, depending on the version you purchase, and both black and white versions are available. A card pocket slot on the inside front flap is the only part that really looks different from similar cases we've seen. We're not especially impressed by the case's cut-out holes for the top, bottom, or sides, and though the case is nappa leather, it doesn't otherwise have the indicia of a high-quality design. It's one we'd pass on.
As one of the more impressively designed denim cases we've seen for an iPod, AVA has taken the blue jeans theme to a new level, with a rear jean jacket-style pocket and matching attachment hook. You can pop off the pocket, or keep it attached; in either case it holds a pair of iPod earbuds or some spare change. There's an integrated clear screen protector, and denim Click Wheel coverage.
Company: Kroo/Leader Wireless
Model: Kroo Cases for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
These four new cases for the iPod nano are either entirely or partially made from inexpensive leather, and frequently accented with metal. Each is available in multiple colors. Of the cases, the metal and leather combination case Cayman is the most interesting; the others look like many generic iPod cases we've seen before.
- Apps: Duolingo 3.3, Marvel Unlimited 2.0, Smash Hit + Wave Wave
- Apple running large iPhone 5c ad on NY Times site
- Report: iOS 8 Maps to gain public transit directions
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Apple TV adds iTunes Festival channel
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number