Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Similar to the EyeTV 200 we previously checked out, Elgato's new EyeTV 250 is considerably cheaper ($200), physically smaller - the same footprint as a full-sized iPod, but twice as thick as the thickest iPod models - and still capable of running with the EyeTV 2 software we reviewed before. The EyeTV 250 uses USB 2.0 rather than FireWire for its connection to a Macintosh computer, and cosmetically matches the white plastic and aluminum bodies of Mac minis. A large black remote control is also included in the package.
Models: Skins for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
With over 200 different patterns, these inexpensive iPod nano front and back-covering stickers represent a staggering collection of artistic variations. They're nothing mindblowing on quality or protection, but the sheer array of options guarantees that you'll find something to your liking.
Compatible: iPod 5G, iPod nano
These simple and inexpensive fabric sleeves, sold in different sizes for full-sized iPods and nanos, come in a wide variety of colors and textures. Though a tiger-like animal print wasn't as hairy as we expected, others (black fur) were, while still others had surprising raised text and interesting patterns. They're certainly more novel than a lot of the sleeves we've seen in the past.
Model: New York Landmark Folio
Compatible: iPod nano, iPod 5G
Exclusive to the new Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City, Incase's customized New York Landmark Folio cases for iPod 5G and nano use the company's familiar Folio protective design - a flip-open, snap-closed holder with an integrated belt clip - and subtle, embossed artwork of arches, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty. Black and white versions were available at the store's opening; Incase expects that the limited run of these cases has already sold out since that event, making them collectible.
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels