Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Armpocket Enterprises
Compatibility: iPhone 6/Air
Although Apple hasn't said anything yet about its next-generation iPhone models, that's not stopping accessory makers from peddling wares that most likely will fit them. Armpocket has joined the pack with Xtreme i-30 ($40) and Ultra i-35 ($45), armbands claimed to be ready for the iPhone 6/Air. Both models are moisure-wicking pouches with clear plastic screen protectors built-in, and offered in your choice of three armband lengths. Behind where a phone fits, there's a pocket for keys, cash, and cards, and the carriers help protect from sweat and water. The i-30 will be aimed at bare or encased 4.7"-screened iPhones, with the ability to hold bare 5.5"-screened iPhones, while the i-35 is large enough to hold the 5.5"-screened iPhone inside or outside a case.
Model: BackBeat Fit
Compatibility: All Bluetooth-Capable iPads, iPhones + iPods
Plantronics, the makers of our favorite Bluetooth earbuds to date, are back with BackBeat Fit ($130), a pair of wireless sport headphones. Coming in black with either bright green or blue accents, the headphones are outfitted with a band that wraps around the back of the head. Each rubber earbud is designed to funnel audio into the ear canal properly, and includes a stabilizing inner ear ring. Controls on either side let you answer calls or play/pause music, and the headphones are protected from sweat and moisture. Listening time is claimed at eight hours, with 14 days of standby time, and a power saving hibernation mode that allows them to stay charged for up to six months when not paired. An included neoprene carrying case reverses to double as a workout armband.
How confident is Spigen in the size, shape, and dimensions of Apple's as-yet-unannounced iPhone 6 / iPhone Air? Enough to debut Thin Fit and Thin Fit A ($15), new form-fitting shells made to protect the sides and backs of Apple's next-generation 4.7"-screened iPhone. The basic Thin Fit versions come in clear and opaque versions, including one non-slip black version, slightly pearlescent white, and light blue. Each has holes for the side-mounted controls and rear camera, plus complete coverage gaps for the iPhone's top, bottom, and front. Thin Fit A adds a circular cut-out for the Apple logo, albeit with clear protection to keep the logo from being scratched; it comes in flat black and gunmetal versions. As the photos show, each case's rounded sides, noticeably greater height, and slightly larger width suggest that the next iPhone's 4.7" screen will be markedly larger than the 4" iPhone 5/5c/5s displays. They'll be available for purchase in late September.
Not the first company to release a modular case and accessory collection for Apple's tablets, OtterBox is perhaps the most well-known developer to tackle the concept. Its new Agility Tablet System for iPad Air is made up of a number of components, all of which are based around the Shell ($40), a large plastic case. Shell serves as the core for optional accessories, many of which lock into the clip on the back, such as Folio ($50) and Portfolio ($70). The former adds a lid that can be positioned for viewing and typing angles, while the latter does the same, but offers more coverage around the back. Wall Mount ($30) is just what it sounds like, with two pieces of 3M adhesive used to semi-permanently attach it to the wall. A stand and a powered dock are also coming soon.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks