Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
A few more iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cases are showing up before the devices have even been released. Incipio's DualPro Shine ($35) for iPhone 6 is a dual-layer rubber and plastic case with an aluminum finish on the back of the plastic shell. Edge ($30), also for iPhone 6, is a hard plastic shell slider case with a matte finish. Though it's a slider, Edge still retains the same standard port openings at the bottom of the case as seen in the DualPro Shine. NGP ($20) is a soft shell, flexible plastic case for iPhone 6 Plus. It comes in a number of colors, all translucent.
Models: WeMo LED Lighting Starter Set
Compatible: iPhone 3GS to 6 Plus, iPod touch 4G/5G, iPad 2 to Air, All iPad minis
The WeMo LED Lighting Starter Set ($100) is the newest entry in Belkin's lineup of home automation products that began two years ago with its WeMo Switch and WeMo Switch + Motion, and has been more recently expanding into everything from crock pots to humidifiers. With this latest entry, Belkin goes back to WeMo's roots with a lighting solution that is both functional and easy to install. The LED Lighting Starter Set includes two Smart LED bulbs that can be screwed into any standard light fixture along with a new "WeMo Link" bridge that plugs into a standard wall receptacle, providing connectivity between the bulbs and the Wi-Fi network. Additional bulbs sell for $30 each, and the system provides support for up to 50 bulbs on a single WeMo Link. The bulbs can be controlled individually or in groups using the free WeMo iOS app.
PureGear has debuted several new cases for the iPhone 6 already, starting with the DualTek Extreme Shock Case ($35), a matte plastic and rubber case with a small piece of shock absorbing material in the shell. The HIP Case+ ($35) is a two-piece multi-use case. A simple plastic shell houses the iPhone 6, offering a kickstand, but little coverage. However, that shell can be inserted into a larger and more protective holster, which also includes two slots for ID or credit cards. Finally, the Slim Shell ($25) is a thinner one-piece case made from a mix of plastic and softer rubber, capable of flexing to accommodate insertion and removal of the iPhone 6.
Third-party case makers aren't the only ones releasing iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cases before the devices have actually come out — Apple's official iPhone 6 Plus Leather Case ($49) is one of two new case options for the company's new iPhones, alongside less expensive silicone cases. Basically a real leather shell, the iPhone 6 Plus Leather Case is similar to Apple's prior-generation leather iPhone 5s Case, but this new version retails for $10 more and yet leaves the bottom of the phone completely exposed. Microfiber on the inside keeps your device from getting scratched during insertion and removal. Five color options include Olive Brown, Black, Midnight Blue, Soft Pink, and (PRODUCT) RED exteriors. Notably, the case makes clear that the encased iPhone 6 Plus will completely fill the whole front pocket of a pair of loose-fitting jeans, most likely not fitting into the front pockets of tighter jeans.
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels