Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
List Price: $14.95
This new sticker set for the fifth-generation iPod includes artwork coverage for the majority of the iPod’s front and back - minus rings around the Click Wheel - and a clear separate screen protector. Thirty different patterns are available, including the sample shown here (“Sudoku”), with more to come in the near future. The skins are more resilient than many we’ve seen, but also a little more difficult to precisely align.
Company: H2O Audio
Model: Swimbelt for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
As the third piece in H2O Audio's new waterproof accessory line for the iPod nano, the company's new Swimbelt ($40) is designed to let surfers, wakeboarders, swimmers and kitesurfers wear their encased nanos at waist level. Made mostly from soft neoprene and clear plastic, the belt is designed for waist sizes between 22 and 42 inches, and provides access to the nano's screen, controls, and headphone port while holding them firmly against your body. To use the Swimbelt, you'll need H2O's Waterproof Housing and Waterproof Headphones, each sold separately.
Compatible: PC Only, iPod 5G
These two new pieces of Windows PC software are designed to quickly convert movies into iPod-compatible files. DVD Copy 4 - here in the Platinum H.264 Edition ($80) - promises to convert DVDs and other movies into iPod format in three steps. It can also create DivX files, and copy DVDs. You insert a disc and select it in the program, choose an output type (DVD, VCD/SVCD or video file) and format (iPod), then press the burn button. iVideoToGo for iPod ($30) is streamlined for iPod conversion, taking DVDs or video files in numerous formats (AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV, MP4, DivX, ASF, DVR-MS, 3GP) and converting them into MPEG-4 or H.264 format with ease. Free trials of both programs are available through InterVideo's web site. Updated: Neither program is capable of reading or transferring copy-protected DVDs (read: anything sold in a store) to your iPod, a fact you'll discover on your first attempt to run either of them. You'll need an additional program - not provided by InterVideo and of varied legality depending on your country - to do that.
Model: iPod Software
This new collection of six different software titles from Avanquest Publishing includes some of the most popular potential tools we could imagine, ranging in price from $30 to $50. Other than the company's iPocketBible and PodPresenter, all of the programs are for Windows PC users only, and attempt to simplify various iPod content creation and management tasks for novice and intermediate users. The programs are sold in boxed or downloadable formats through the company's web site.
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?