Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
List Price: $14.95
This new sticker set for the fifth-generation iPod includes artwork coverage for the majority of the iPod’s front and back - minus rings around the Click Wheel - and a clear separate screen protector. Thirty different patterns are available, including the sample shown here (“Sudoku”), with more to come in the near future. The skins are more resilient than many we’ve seen, but also a little more difficult to precisely align.
Company: H2O Audio
Model: Swimbelt for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
As the third piece in H2O Audio's new waterproof accessory line for the iPod nano, the company's new Swimbelt ($40) is designed to let surfers, wakeboarders, swimmers and kitesurfers wear their encased nanos at waist level. Made mostly from soft neoprene and clear plastic, the belt is designed for waist sizes between 22 and 42 inches, and provides access to the nano's screen, controls, and headphone port while holding them firmly against your body. To use the Swimbelt, you'll need H2O's Waterproof Housing and Waterproof Headphones, each sold separately.
Compatible: PC Only, iPod 5G
These two new pieces of Windows PC software are designed to quickly convert movies into iPod-compatible files. DVD Copy 4 - here in the Platinum H.264 Edition ($80) - promises to convert DVDs and other movies into iPod format in three steps. It can also create DivX files, and copy DVDs. You insert a disc and select it in the program, choose an output type (DVD, VCD/SVCD or video file) and format (iPod), then press the burn button. iVideoToGo for iPod ($30) is streamlined for iPod conversion, taking DVDs or video files in numerous formats (AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV, MP4, DivX, ASF, DVR-MS, 3GP) and converting them into MPEG-4 or H.264 format with ease. Free trials of both programs are available through InterVideo's web site. Updated: Neither program is capable of reading or transferring copy-protected DVDs (read: anything sold in a store) to your iPod, a fact you'll discover on your first attempt to run either of them. You'll need an additional program - not provided by InterVideo and of varied legality depending on your country - to do that.
Model: iPod Software
This new collection of six different software titles from Avanquest Publishing includes some of the most popular potential tools we could imagine, ranging in price from $30 to $50. Other than the company's iPocketBible and PodPresenter, all of the programs are for Windows PC users only, and attempt to simplify various iPod content creation and management tasks for novice and intermediate users. The programs are sold in boxed or downloadable formats through the company's web site.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards