Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: iPod Software
This new collection of six different software titles from Avanquest Publishing includes some of the most popular potential tools we could imagine, ranging in price from $30 to $50. Other than the company's iPocketBible and PodPresenter, all of the programs are for Windows PC users only, and attempt to simplify various iPod content creation and management tasks for novice and intermediate users. The programs are sold in boxed or downloadable formats through the company's web site.
Like a number of other lanyard-style headphones we've seen for the iPod shuffle and iPod nano, this pair of Philips Neckstrap Headphones - model SHE7600, an Asian import model available from Warehouse123.com - uses a fabric necklace and user-adjustable headphone and neck length cords to minimize cable clutter and dangling. A strap is included to attach the headphones to a case, not included, and "turbo bass" performance is promised.
Company: Sumo Cases
Model: World Cup 5G
Compatible: iPod 5G (with video)
Based on the company's previously released Horizontal Playthru case design, Sumo's new World Cup cases are special, limited editions with soccer ball pattern-stitched leather exteriors. Eight different countries are represented with the cases, specifically Italy, Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina, USA, England, and Mexico; their national colors appear in the cases' leather bodies. A classic black and white version will also be available. Each has a soccerball logo rather than the Sumo logo found on standard Horizontal Playthru models.
Model: Stand for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
Available in white and black versions, Marware's Stand for iPod nano is a streamlined take on Apple's official iPod nano Dock. With a swoosh-like shape that mounts your nano on an angle at its front, the Stand has USB and line-out ports on its back, plus a "headphone port" (actually, a second line-out port) on its right side. Rubber pads on the bottom keep the Stand stable, and an included, color-matched USB cable provides charging and synchronization features when connected to a computer.
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks