Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: mTune for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano, other iPods*
Following up on the company's earlier mTune for iPod shuffle, these two iPod nano-specific versions of the original mTune headset enable you to mount your iPod literally inside one of its earcup shells, and enjoy your music without any cables attached. No batteries are included or needed; it runs, like other headphones, off of the iPod's power. Though the nano is more conspicuous than was the shuffle when connected to mTune, and not necessarily as well-suited to being placed on the side of your head, its added weight is trivial. An audio cable is included if you want to use the headset with any other iPod or device. The mTune-N is designed for the first-generation iPod nano; mTune-N2 is designed for the second-generation, aluminum-bodied nano.
Compatible: iPod nano
Officially licensed by Collegiate Products, these new leather-like wallets from Incase feature exterior logos from some of America's top undergraduate institutions, suede interiors, and rubber logo keychains. Our review samples from the University of Texas, Duke University, and the University of Washington bear their names on the inside, and team logos (Longhorns, Blue Devils, and Huskies) on the back. The case design is identical to the Incase Nano Wallets we've previously reviewed.
Model: Auto Kit (Black)
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
We generally don't revisit old products just because they've been re-released in new colors, but for Belkin's Auto Kit, we're making an exception. This particular car audio and charging accessory has continued to be one of our favorites over the past two and a half years, allowing the user to adjust the Kit's gain to match the Dock Connector output levels of various iPods, and their choice of cassette adapters or line-out cables (sold separately). Though we've since seen great alternatives - TEN Technology's FlexibleDock, for one - Auto Kit remains a strong performer, and now can be had in glossy iPod black.
Model: TuneDok for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
It's been many a moon since we've played with a TuneDok - Belkin's plastic cupholder mount for full-sized iPods and minis - and now there's a version for iPod nano. Like the others, this one includes a screw-in iPod holder that changes height based on how deeply it's screwed in to the base, and three plastic cups that can be paired up to adjust for different cupholder depths. In addition to offering two cup thicknesses - one standard, one large - the new TuneDok also includes a rubber cuff that can go around the outside of a cup, thickening it while adding a bit of Griffin iSqueez-like flexibility. This TuneDok is also the first we've tested in a glossy black color, which matches the company's Auto Kit, and of course black iPod nanos.
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?