Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: mTune for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano, other iPods*
Following up on the company's earlier mTune for iPod shuffle, these two iPod nano-specific versions of the original mTune headset enable you to mount your iPod literally inside one of its earcup shells, and enjoy your music without any cables attached. No batteries are included or needed; it runs, like other headphones, off of the iPod's power. Though the nano is more conspicuous than was the shuffle when connected to mTune, and not necessarily as well-suited to being placed on the side of your head, its added weight is trivial. An audio cable is included if you want to use the headset with any other iPod or device. The mTune-N is designed for the first-generation iPod nano; mTune-N2 is designed for the second-generation, aluminum-bodied nano.
Compatible: iPod nano
Officially licensed by Collegiate Products, these new leather-like wallets from Incase feature exterior logos from some of America's top undergraduate institutions, suede interiors, and rubber logo keychains. Our review samples from the University of Texas, Duke University, and the University of Washington bear their names on the inside, and team logos (Longhorns, Blue Devils, and Huskies) on the back. The case design is identical to the Incase Nano Wallets we've previously reviewed.
Model: Auto Kit (Black)
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
We generally don't revisit old products just because they've been re-released in new colors, but for Belkin's Auto Kit, we're making an exception. This particular car audio and charging accessory has continued to be one of our favorites over the past two and a half years, allowing the user to adjust the Kit's gain to match the Dock Connector output levels of various iPods, and their choice of cassette adapters or line-out cables (sold separately). Though we've since seen great alternatives - TEN Technology's FlexibleDock, for one - Auto Kit remains a strong performer, and now can be had in glossy iPod black.
Model: TuneDok for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
It's been many a moon since we've played with a TuneDok - Belkin's plastic cupholder mount for full-sized iPods and minis - and now there's a version for iPod nano. Like the others, this one includes a screw-in iPod holder that changes height based on how deeply it's screwed in to the base, and three plastic cups that can be paired up to adjust for different cupholder depths. In addition to offering two cup thicknesses - one standard, one large - the new TuneDok also includes a rubber cuff that can go around the outside of a cup, thickening it while adding a bit of Griffin iSqueez-like flexibility. This TuneDok is also the first we've tested in a glossy black color, which matches the company's Auto Kit, and of course black iPod nanos.
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?