Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Matrix Productions
Price: $13/1, $24/3
Compatible: iPod 5G, nano
Other than their distinctive artwork, these new "protective skin wraps" for the iPod 5G and nano are unique in that they actually include separate clear screen protectors; they cover most of each iPod's face, back and sides, including the Click Wheel. Non-adhesive, the WraptorSkinz are touted as re-usable, and can be applied with an included hard plastic "squeegee" that helps you to remove air bubbles. They're sold individually for $13, or in 3-packs for $24.
Available in black, brown, orange, and red, this simple leather case design resembles Vaja's iVod 5G cases, but lacks padding and screen or Click Wheel protection. In addition to being custom-fit to the 30GB or 60GB iPods rather than one-size-fits-all, versions with ($53) and without a non-detachable belt clip nub ($50) are available; the included black plastic belt clip uses a locking system to prevent accidental detachment.
Model: iPod Outfit for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
This reinforced vinyl case design for the iPod nano provides nearly complete protection, and is available in six different color and trim combinations, which the company claims are cut from huge patterns to ensure no two cases are precisely the same. Magpie's placed its non-detachable rear belt clip upside down for easier nano viewing, and included a removable keychain for attachment to your clothes, purse, or keys. A super-small Hold switch hole is the only oddity.
Company: Battery Technology Incorporated
Model: i-Zleeve for iPod Video
Price: Approx. $20
Compatible: iPod 5G
This package of two jelly-like rubber sleeves (one each for 30GB and 60GB iPods) comes with a special two-position belt clip. In its standard position, you can attach it (surprise) to your belt, but in its reversed position, you can flip open its bottom to mount your 5G iPod on a table. The components can also be attached to BTI's iPod Battery ii (not included) to provide hours of continuous video playback without the need for you to hand-hold the 5G iPod.
- Apple debuts ‘Apple Tested Cases’ web page
- Showtime’s standalone Apple TV channel arrives with free trial
- Apple redesigning third-party accessory packaging for its stores
- Apple aims to bring back Home Sharing for music in iOS 9
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?