Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Matrix Productions
Price: $13/1, $24/3
Compatible: iPod 5G, nano
Other than their distinctive artwork, these new "protective skin wraps" for the iPod 5G and nano are unique in that they actually include separate clear screen protectors; they cover most of each iPod's face, back and sides, including the Click Wheel. Non-adhesive, the WraptorSkinz are touted as re-usable, and can be applied with an included hard plastic "squeegee" that helps you to remove air bubbles. They're sold individually for $13, or in 3-packs for $24.
Available in black, brown, orange, and red, this simple leather case design resembles Vaja's iVod 5G cases, but lacks padding and screen or Click Wheel protection. In addition to being custom-fit to the 30GB or 60GB iPods rather than one-size-fits-all, versions with ($53) and without a non-detachable belt clip nub ($50) are available; the included black plastic belt clip uses a locking system to prevent accidental detachment.
Model: iPod Outfit for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
This reinforced vinyl case design for the iPod nano provides nearly complete protection, and is available in six different color and trim combinations, which the company claims are cut from huge patterns to ensure no two cases are precisely the same. Magpie's placed its non-detachable rear belt clip upside down for easier nano viewing, and included a removable keychain for attachment to your clothes, purse, or keys. A super-small Hold switch hole is the only oddity.
Company: Battery Technology Incorporated
Model: i-Zleeve for iPod Video
Price: Approx. $20
Compatible: iPod 5G
This package of two jelly-like rubber sleeves (one each for 30GB and 60GB iPods) comes with a special two-position belt clip. In its standard position, you can attach it (surprise) to your belt, but in its reversed position, you can flip open its bottom to mount your 5G iPod on a table. The components can also be attached to BTI's iPod Battery ii (not included) to provide hours of continuous video playback without the need for you to hand-hold the 5G iPod.
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?